• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Varmint XL-450 need some help with keying relay !

WINKDOGG

President CFO & CPFO WorldwideDX Radio
Feb 21, 2011
New Jersey
Hello all Four-Two-Zero in New Jersey waving a hand ! (not Four-Twenty) not that there is anything wrong with that lol . I have been running this Varmint 450 XL for years and have talked all over the world on everything from a Horiz Dipole , J Pole to a home brewed 3 element beam and she is a talker !! After my return to DX land after a few years things have gotten dirty and Im afraid contact cleaner cant help me here :( The keying relay in my metallic blue baby was acting up after sitting for 3.5-4 years . It was retubed and tuned about a month before I fell off the air (new job , new house , new girl ) now I was not getting full clean contact with contacts on the relay . I hit it with a contact cleaner and flossed a piece of copy paper between all the contacts (non abrasive) still no joy ;( So I manually keyed it with a fiberglass rod and got full output ! Unfortunately I got bit with a high voltage spike to the hand and when I jerked my hand I bent the crap out of the contacts and pulled a wire loose on the relay . Its a 6 contact push pull relay with 3 two sided push pull contacts for key up and opening up the receive after keying . Im looking for a replacement relay recommendation as well as a little help to fire up my big blue tuber ! I CAN handle the replacement and excuse my terminology if im off its been a while , but I need advice on the right part ! I have found several "Ice cube" relays on ebay etc but most are 4 contact or 8 contact and I would love to solder in a socket and make the relay plug-in but I can board mount it if needed ! As you can see Ive been a member since 2011 and a DX skip shooter for over 25 years but normally I just come here to read the mail and learn from the threads so now Im asking for some help . Im not a novice however I don't have the technical chops that a lot of you have and thanks in advance for any ideas and help moving forward ! If you gentleman need pics please let me know and I will post asap !

Four - Two - Zero in the Garden State your long distance radio friend in WORLD WIDE DX Land

aka Brian

WINKDOGG,
That relay is a 3PDT with a 10a current rating and a 12Vdc coil.
I have the same amp here to restore/repair/sell etc. The coil measures 123 ohms but the relay is still installed in the chassis and I can't get any numbers from it.

You should be able to Giggle a replacement.

David

That relay has long lugs that line up with the holes in the circuit board. This style has been out of production for years.

RF Parts used to have a 3PDT 12-Volt DC relay this size, but with solder-eye lugs. Hooking a short wire through each lug will adapt it to use on a circuit board, but the location of the lug for the center pole's common connection may not be the same.

But that part is shown as out of stock today.

Any substitute will be a mechanical challenge to support it and get all the connections right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?