• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vector 4000 Remake

i learned that its not just in yorkshire that this design out performs other antennas,
it works in CO, TN, @ more than one location in NJ, and at you place homer ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Yes. Two Vector 4000s, and one SigmaIV.

I meant to build one of these antennas.

;)

I consider them largely the same antenna. Being based on the same physics going from the Sigma to the Vector simply moved the design forward to its next iteration.

Enjoy your new toy, can't wait for your next project.

The DB

I consider them largely the same antenna. Being based on the same physics going from the Sigma to the Vector simply moved the design forward to its next iteration.

Enjoy your new toy, can't wait for your next project.

The DB
I had made the original V4k, I called Qv4k, and found it remarkable as an antenna. That went to a new home. I found a ring the proper diameter and pre-fitted with three tabs. I wanted to replace the Qv4k with another, and decided on the Sigma4 because the ring had those three tabs. Following all the same building considerations I had used with the Qv4k I put the S4 up and was not as impressed with it as the Qv4k - less receive, less responsive on TX, no better than most of the 5/8s antennas I had done. A significant feature of the Qv4k had been its exceptional receive at heights as low as 10' off the ground. The S4 was not so remarkable. It could have been builder error.
The V4k has a reputation, whether deserved or not, for being fragile. I wanted the performance of the Qv4k so I decided to build another one. The Q2v4k, as I've dubbed this one, would return to the 4 radials in the cone like the first had, and more specifically, I'd follow exact specs as much as possible with my materials at hand, but it would be a more hardy build. Using more robust metal in the cone itself, sturdier components for the gamma section, a double walled lower area where the most stress would be, and raising my cross piece up higher along the vertical, I hoped to defy the reputation with a successful antenna. I seem to have managed that goal.

It is my belief that the Sigma/Vector antennas of this style use the vertical to support the cone, when the integrity of the entire bottom section should be built in such a way as to make them mutually supportive. They should be approached mechanically as a single solid unit it order to maximize on strength. This can be done without losing any performance.

Watching this Q2v4k bend in the wind has led me to consider two more enhancements. I am going to increase the number of sections in my antenna to be more like the production model, but being sure I have more upper tube inserted into the section below each, and I am going to prefabricate my cross piece from materials that I feel are more weather friendly, and hopefully more attractive.
This is planned for next Spring.

Perhaps they are iterations of the same antenna, but I think the Vector 4000 inherently has greater structural capability for enhancements that give more integrity to the antenna.

Besides, It looks cooler with four cone radials.

Bear in mind the above written post occurred as an evolution of thought as opposed to within one planning session.

Reactions: 3 people
There is a ground rod next to it.
Sometimes I have had it hooked directly to the steel mast, other times it hasn't been.
I have never detected any operating difference either way. It has been there only for the weather.

Reactions: Marconi
tuner , what do you think about copying homerbb's remake here ? you can get tubing at ...

Aluminum Tubing at DXEngineering.com: high-strength aluminum tubing, heavy-wall tubing, pre-slit and unslit tubing

use the .120 wall for the bottom 2 or 3 sections and .58 for thr upper vertical and basket elements . BTW , if you get some coax (even a jumper) S&H is free :) . the aluminum strip for the bottom bracket and loop can be gotten at lowes and home depot too .

Shop steelworks aluminum at Lowes.com: Search Results

Search Results for Everbilt aluminum at The Home Depot

Search Results for Crown Bolt Aluminum at The Home Depot

most folks recommend using stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers . i like #8 hardware myself .

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.