• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W1AW/1 working Out-Of-Band operators

Road Squawker

Jan 19, 2011
just sitting here listening to W1AW/1 on 14.225.

after over an hour of listening 2 things occurred to me.

1. W1AW/1 operator (Mike) has not Id'ed with his personal call as required by 97.119 (d).
when operating a special event it is perfectly legal to use the special event call, but,.... at least once per hour the operator must ID with their personal call.

2. W1AW/1 is working many General class operators that ARE out of band on 14.225 USB.

Correct on the ID thing but since the General phone portion of 20m starts at 14.225 they are "technically"ok. I would never work the band edge since part of my signal would be sticking out below 14.225 but I guess some would. That's a little lid like for both the W1AW op and any General class who would work him.

Considering that stations other habits, that band edge and not ID'ing doesn't amount to much. Wonder how many 'OO' cards were sent to W1AW through all this nonsense?
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
If the general class ops sigs were the correct witdh, they ere not out. USB shifts your sig up. I recommend to those I Elmer to bet 5 khz away from edge though.
Rich

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Those are suggested band limits!

Personally, I stay 3 KHz within the band limit to allow for sideband splatter. Let those guys get an OO notice. The OO's need something to do.

Normally, for a typical SSB signal, 3 Khz is fine. But there are several ways for that 'normal' SSB signal to get much wider than 3 Khz.
- 'Doc

3 KHz is OK, it's the guys operating less than 3KHz from the band edge to operating one the band edge that is the problem. Example: 7175 KHz is the 40 meter phone band edge for General Class, thus the general should operate LSB at 7178 KHz or higher. Else, they may (depending on frequency stability) have sideband energy in the Advanced/Extra portion. What may be happening at the start of the thread is generals operating specifically in Advanced/Extra Class frequencies. I heard some guys operating right on 4000 KHz on the 75 Meter band. Just because the radio can transmit there, doesn't make it legal.

Those are suggested band limits!

Not true. They are not just suggested limits. The frequency limits for all classes of license are detailed in Part 97.301. Transmit out of band for your license class and you are technically breaking the law. So it's not just a bad practice to plant yourself on the band edge of your license class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.