• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

W1AW/1 working Out-Of-Band operators

I regularly hear phone operations on 14.150-200.

Nothing wrong with that at all as long as you have the proper license class that allows it. General class licenses do not allow it however. Of course this is all assuming the operators are american. Other countries may not have any such restrictions. Here in Canada we can legally operate phone anywhere in any band as long as we meet bandwidth requirements. I can legally operate USB phone on 14.001 MHz if I want too.

Reactions: 1 person
According to my "extra" license I can work at 14.150 phone but keep it above 14.160 just to stay in the right area. I try to follow the rules as much as I can but for a W1AW operator that just isn't right! Is no one checking on these guys?
shameful.

Unless I missed something it is not up to the W1AW operator to make sure his contacts are operating within their regulations. It is up to the transmitting station to do so.

Not true. They are not just suggested limits. The frequency limits for all classes of license are detailed in Part 97.301. Transmit out of band for your license class and you are technically breaking the law. So it's not just a bad practice to plant yourself on the band edge of your license class.

I was kidding. Like speed limit signs seem to be suggested speed limits for many drivers, the 3 KHz guard bands are just suggested spectrum limits for some operators. Some ops don't realize the sideband energy goes beyond the dialed frequency.

Unless I missed something it is not up to the W1AW operator to make sure his contacts are operating within their regulations. It is up to the transmitting station to do so.

+1

It would make things painfully slow if the w1aw portable operator looked up each contact to confirm the license class before completing the QSO.

+1

It would make things painfully slow if the w1aw portable operator looked up each contact to confirm the license class before completing the QSO.

The transmitting station is responsible for HIS transmissions only.

The other ops on the air are responsible for their transmissions.

Look at part 97.301

It gives the EXACT frequencies each license has a privilege of transmitting on.

It DOES NOT give what mode you can use on the frequencies.

The mode is an ARRL recommendations and is followed as such by gentleman's agreement.

Any mode can be used anywhere within the allocated frequencies of your license If you do not wish to adhere to the ARRL recommendations.

Correct me if I am wrong, first cup of coffee and not awake yet.

The transmitting station is responsible for HIS transmissions only.

The other ops on the air are responsible for their transmissions.

That is what 6meter and myself said.

Look at part 97.301

It gives the EXACT frequencies each license has a privilege of transmitting on.

It DOES NOT give what mode you can use on the frequencies.

The mode is an ARRL recommendations and is followed as such by gentleman's agreement.

True to a point. License class sub-bands are dictated by law while band plans are a recommended thing.

Any mode can be used anywhere within the allocated frequencies of your license If you do not wish to adhere to the ARRL recommendations.

Not true. There are non-voice mode segments where regardless of license class CW,RTTY, or data modes are the ONLY authorized modes. These are found in the very bottom segments of the bands.

just sitting here listening to W1AW/1 on 14.225.

after over an hour of listening 2 things occurred to me.

1. W1AW/1 operator (Mike) has not Id'ed with his personal call as required by 97.119 (d).
when operating a special event it is perfectly legal to use the special event call, but,.... at least once per hour the operator must ID with their personal call.

2. W1AW/1 is working many General class operators that ARE out of band on 14.225 USB.

My rule book is very old, but I thought it said something about the operator ID with their own call at least once every 15 minutes - if not every 10.

If you got their real call sign, turn them in to the O&O

I regularly hear phone operations on 14.150-200.

Canada and some other countries might have privileges where we do not.

You may have heard a out of country station operating.

VE's and others in Canada also has the opportunity to operate using the W1AW call sign I think.. It's been a while since I read the rules...

... It DOES NOT give what mode you can use on the frequencies... Any mode can be used anywhere within the allocated frequencies of your license...

except for TECHS on 10 meter (phone), they MUST use SSB, no AM/FM.

also the modes on 60 meters are dictated by part 97.

except for TECHS on 10 meter (phone), they MUST use SSB, no AM/FM.

also the modes on 60 meters are dictated by part 97.

And the non-voice sub-bands on the bottom of each band where ONLY CW RTTY or other data modes are allowed. That is an FCC rule and not subject to individual discretion.

Thankfully we here in Canada have no such mode sub-bands and are governed by mode bandwidth only. Any mode is legal anywhere in the band as long as it meets bandwidth limits.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.