• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What does "barefoot" or "stock" really mean to people?

Martian

Jul 3, 2018
When I search around the term "barefoot" seems to have a rather subjective meaning today, but go back in time and it was pretty black and white.
If you look at postings and discussions on the internet from back in the 90s the consensus was that "barefoot" was a radio that was running legal power, not clipped, etc.

As you get into the era of the radios with built-in amps the ones that owned those radios referred to them as "barefoot" because the radio just happened to come with an amplifier strapped to it and that the amplifier was part of their "stock" "barefoot" radio.

So... is a "stock" or "barefoot" radio one that is unchanged or one that is running legal power and not clipped and snipped?

Thanks everyone.

From what little poking I have done on the subject it seems to differ depending on who is using the term.

Radios like the Anytone 6666 or Stryker 955 effectively have "linears" built-in.
But, yeah other than cracking these style radios open to take them out of 10/12 meter operation they could be "stock" or "barefoot" by some peoples' definition having nothing turned or clipped besides what is needed to get them on CB.

If you think of "barefoot" as having no "linear" then radios with built-in "linear" amps don't qualify?

Running barefoot means no external amplifier. Always has meant that. You can run a Cobra 148GTL barefoot and have 12 watts on SSB or you can run a Yaesu FT-857 barefoot and have 100 watts on SSB. Barefoot does not mean simply 4 watts AM/12 watts SSB. Hams run barefoot all the time and usually have a minimum of 100 watts......sometimes more depending on the radio. And THAT is the rub. You have to define what radio it is that you are running barefoot with.

As for running stock well...... that is as the factory set it up. You can run a radio stock with a power microphone added since the radio is still stock but it would be very misleading to say you were running stock with a power microphone unless you said you were running that type of microphone.

As you get into the era of the radios with built-in amps

They don't have built in amps, they use a PA with a higher output. One of those radios being used without an external amplifier would be classed as running barefoot. When I run my 100W amateur radio without a linear then that is considered running barefoot even though its output is 100W. Same would apply if I was using my 200W TS480 without a linear amp after it.

Reactions: Slowmover
I think the meaning has kinda morphed from "No Amplifier" into "FCC Legal", but to me it means no amplifier. Average CB'er didn't have access to imports and schematics/mods back in the day so there wasn't much of a question. Today the term is basically meaningless unless you mean FCC Legal. If you go barefoot long enough, it's hard for your feet to not get built up.

In arkansas means 1 thing,but to me in radios its out of the box factory set not modified in any way

Barefoot is a 400+ watt driver used to drive a 32 pill or a 100 watt used to drive an 8 pill that in turn will drive 2 32 pill amps which will dump all that into 8 phased Monkey made antennas mounted on a 1/4 inch steel plate mounted to the top of a chevy carry all with hopped up 427 400 hp turning 8 200 amp alternators while holding the RPM's at 4 grand and yelling worldwide 150 times into a cobra 29ltd classic. Only kidding nobody does that kinda stuff and then calls there 400 or 800-watt driver there barefoot mobile, Do they?

Barefoot is a 400+ watt driver used to drive a 32 pill or a 100 watt used to drive an 8 pill that in turn will drive 2 32 pill amps which will dump all that into 8 phased Monkey made antennas mounted on a 1/4 inch steel plate mounted to the top of a chevy carry all with hopped up 427 400 hp turning 8 200 amp alternators while holding the RPM's at 4 grand and yelling worldwide 150 times into a cobra 29ltd classic. Only kidding nobody does that kinda stuff and then calls there 400 or 800-watt driver there barefoot mobile, Do they?
haha good 1 old tech

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.