• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What Is The Best Base Antenna Under $135

The Vector 4000 is a great antenna as well. Just one up at about 25ft to feedpoint and am able to make contacts to 70+ miles out. Haven't had signal reports like im getting either from locals at 50 miles I've gone up 1-3 S-units per the operator I spoke with. I'll get some more results but thus far the antenna has proven to be a great antenna. Not easy to setup, but once setup right, they will flat out put a signal out!

Reactions: hotrod
The Vector 4000 is a great antenna as well. Just one up at about 25ft to feedpoint and am able to make contacts to 70+ miles out. Haven't had signal reports like im getting either from locals at 50 miles I've gone up 1-3 S-units per the operator I spoke with. I'll get some more results but thus far the antenna has proven to be a great antenna. Not easy to setup, but once setup right, they will flat out put a signal out!
how does it handle the wind?? i was actually looking into that antenna b4 i got my 2016 but with its lenth i wa leary

It handles the wind fine. No issues thus far. They beefed up the joints and I added some HD heat shrink as well to each joint. Had some good gusts today of 25+ mph at the tip im sure and it didn't move much at all. I do have protection of a few large oak trees around me. They help break the wind. But man the antenna works. Talked to Crystal River which is across the state from me. Over 100 miles. Not bad for coast to coast. Daytona Bch to Crystal River. Not bad.

Talked to Crystal River which is across the state from me. Over 100 miles. Not bad for coast to coast. Daytona Bch to Crystal River. Not bad.

That's a pretty good trip. Do you mind if I ask:
(1) AM or SSB? (2) What kind of antenna was the guy in Crystal River was using? (3) How high up were each of you? (4) How many watts?

I'm frequently in the Orlando area and wouldn't mind catching you guys on the band when you're making that cross-state QSO. Thanks.

It was on 38lsb. Used about 50 watts of power. I used my NV4K and idk what antenna he uses. Both of us are probably about the same height, him being a but higher possibly in elevation. My antenna is 26ft to base. Tip heifht is about 54ft or so. Radio
Is an Icom 746 I use. Not sure what he was using. The numbers over there were 484 Jim, in Crystal River. Also have been regularly speaking with a guy down in Cocoa Bch. which is 70 miles south of me. Straight down. Also talk to the northern end of Palm Coast from my QTH. I'm in Port Orange, FL. Just south of Daytona. Next time I speak with 484 I'll have to ask what kind of antenna he uses. Crystal River elev. about 2-10ft. Elev. at Port Orange where I live is about 1 meter above sea level. I'm about 2-3 miles from the ocean. So the ground heights are about the same from here to there. It is conditions. I do hear Orlando stations all the time though. Depends on where in Orlando it is. But I can talk pretty far locally with this antenna. 50-70 miles no problem on SSB with about 20-50 watts. I haven't tried turning power back to see how low I can go before dropping out but I know I can get out with 50 watts pretty well. Would like to talk to you 330!!

And I did mean ground height 330, not antenna height. Like I said, my antenna is about 26ft to base. Don't know what his is. Or what he uses. I also been hearing guys every morning in Ocala area talking. They are on at like 4-5am or so. That is about 50-60 miles from me as well. Range is just good with this antenna. Locally I have def. come up in signal from all reports I've gotten, which should be the case as this antenna is taller than any other I've had up and def better!! The tornado did well at 30ft to base, but this antenna is much better IMO. Anyway, have a good one.

Reactions: hotrod

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.