• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what NPC/RC mod looks like on a scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id like to see a video of that 148 (80watts) posted on here, and pictures of the inside of the Radio? What say u post some huh? Look forward to seeing it. Thank u.

I would if i could but all of my stuff is still packed away and this is not my puter,sorry. But really. The radio was completly stock with no mods what so ever so i thought i would let him go over the radio to see what he thought about my tune on the radio. He said it was good but he thought that he could do a little better so he showed me what the radio was doing on his meter before he did anything to it, it was showing 40 watts on his meter. After he turned a few things inside the radio and spread one of those little copper coils as far apart as he could the meter showed 80 watts,THATS ALL HE DID!

As i said no mod kit,no volted finals,nothing but a stone stock radio with completly stock finals that his meter showed,after his tuning was doing 80 watts.

Any man that can show you 80 watts from a radio like this knows all the tricks to do so.

i could care less abour RMS power myself . my radios and amps modulated signals all rely on pep power . but different meters have different levels of accuracy . i didnt read back the whole thread , but who has a meter showing 80 watts from your stock 148 king ?

i bet my lil palomar 225 will do a killowatt on his meter :)

Reactions: NZ8N
After he turned a few things inside the radio and spread one of those little copper coils as far apart as he could the meter showed 80 watts,THATS ALL HE DID!

As i said no mod kit,no volted finals,nothing but a stone stock radio with completly stock finals that his meter showed,after his tuning was doing 80 watts.

Any man that can show you 80 watts from a radio like this knows all the tricks to do so.

Oh my, I honestly didn't think he would do that.... Those are definitely some "Happy Watts" You serious Billy Ward set you up with a stock final 148GTL side Mic doing 80 watts?

How can that device go well beyond what it was designed to do without popping?

That's Mission:Impossible

Well I can personally attest to a Screaming Uniden Washington, @60 watts, and thats pushing that chassis to the wall, 17 volts on the PA. 80 real watts out of a 148, I think that belongs over in another thread.... What was it, something or other Myths?

Truthfully I can't wait for Billy to comment on this....

I typed 3 large paragraphs and lost it all by bumping the wrong button so I am pissed at myself right now.

Look guys, There is a thing in leagal circles that is known as the letter of the law and also the spirit of the law.

Something similar exist on this forum. EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM HAS HEARD FROM ME ENOUGH TO KNON THAT THAT WAS A TYPO ABOVE WHERE I SAID COMPRESS THE CARRIER. Of course I meant compress the negative peak.

I would be glad to explain the entire modification over again, if you guys would read what I have to say at least with an open mind. I am NOT seeing rebuttle or agreement with what I have said. All I see is regurgitation of the same old crap that everyone says about all of the swing mod typ mods.

I HAVE DONE MANY, MANY THOUSANDS OF THE NPC-RC MOD over the last 11
years since I introduced it to the internet cb'ers WITH ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE CASE HAVING ANY ILL EFFECTS.

Just exactly HOW these guys came up with these pictures, I don't know because they are NOT representative of the NPC-RC scope waveforms that I see.

I did NOT create the mod but I most assuredly DID make it work for CB Radio. I also Named it! I also wrote on my website that I did NOT come jup with the Idea and that the idea was used as early as the 40'3 and maybe the 30's.

I am going to continue on the next post as I don't want to bump another wrong button.:laugh:

Hey, guys,

before you castorate me take a look at the specification sheet of an ERF-2030 which was in that 148. I believe if you will take the time, you just might be surprised.

The ERF-2030 is rated at 20 watts (75 PEP) YES 75 WATTS FROM A 20 WATT DEVICE! If you don't believe me, call up Erick K. Lewis of EKL components. He is the one that put up the money to get the part disigned in the Orient. He knows what he is doing! Magnum, owned by his father also builds an amp using 4 of these devices that runs cool at 175 watts.

Also, the owner of the 148 must have not been watching as close as he needed to be because I didn't strech out the coil for maximum. It was already streched and I pinched it totally together with long-nose pliers and then uniformally streched it just a tad.

Let me explain, so that you will know that I have enough knowledge to know better than to strech out a coil. I pinch ALL streched out coils back to original--I just happened to squeeze that one too much and it collapsed into a bundle of turns

When you are looking at the output power of a transmitter on a wattmeter without a spectrum analyzer, you will find that usually if you JUST tune for maximum power, that will NOT be what you get. The "so-called" foward reading of the power on a wattmeter includes the combination of the forward power and the reflected power.

As an example, if you are seeing 20 watts on the forward reading of a Bird watt meter and you turn the slug around to find that it has 5 watts reflected power then you are really only getting 15 watts of forward power. The ONLY TIME that a Bird is accurate, even if the calibration is PERFECT, is if there is ZERO reflected power.

When you strech the coil-which I see in at least 80 percent of the Cobra 29's that come into my shop, that have been to another shop first--you are changing the impedance of the circuit such that the forward reading is coming up because the reflected power is coming up.

Leave the coils along if you want the maximum power output with the maximum filtering capability of the output lowpass filtering that is tuned at the factory for lowest harmonics.

:laugh:

Sorry about the multiple post but I don't want to work for 1/2 hour on a post and then loose it just as I start to hit the submit button. Yes I know that I can do the Notepad thing but it usually doesn't work out right on this forum as far as line length. If someone knows why that is so, I would like to learn from you so that I could use Notepad to author a post and then transfer it to this forum.

Now back to the 148. Whether it was doing 80 watts, I don't know and if he will remember, I said that I was not sure of the calibration of my meter as this looked a little high. However, I also made mention that I probably doubled the output no matter what it really was.

To address the post that said use an RMS meter. Why would anyone want to do that. It is not at all representative of the signal that we are putting out. When you tune a radio or amplifier for maximum output while modulating the radio into a peak meter, it will ALWAYS tell you more about your signal than a Bird. I totally agree that the Bird isthe standard of the land mobile industry but most shops that have any real understanding of modulation do NOT put out radios that have semytrical modulation.

Now to address the guy that used the GD words when it was totally uncalled for talking about removing the limiter. That is EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO with the NPC-RC mod because you do not want the positive peak limited. you want it to go as high as possible without flattoping!

As far as the negative peak, you have a limiter when you do the NPC-RC. it is called compression. It is far sppperior to a crappy limiter because you cannot open up the positive peak with the limiter in the circuit.

ASSymetrical modulation is the whole purpose of the NPC-RC mod. that is NOT an evil word. Also, the broadcast stations DID NOT have the positive peak set for a little over 100%--

They had it at anywhere from 150% to 500%. Remember, they were using tubes with LOTS of headroom with almost no chance of saturation. The NPC-RC as I use it produces about 98 % on the negative peak and about 200-300% on the positive peak.:LOL:

Billy, it has nothing to do with you, more the mis-information and claims that were made. What was unbelievable is 80 watts from a STOCK 148GTL. And that a seasoned knowledgeable Radio Tech would do what was described.

This is why I said I can't wait for your comment. This is exactly how rumors and bad reps can start. Someone makes outlandish claims about how a specific radio performs after someone has worked on it.

I figured something was wrong with that picture.

Glad you were able to clear that up.

Now to address the scope patterns.

The pattern that is supposedly showing the perfect stock radio am modulation envelope!

It is not at all representative of a perfect modulation envelope!!!!!

The limiter in that radio was distorting the negative peak severly!

The pattern that was supposed to be of the NPC-RC was not of the NPC-RC. It was the dual-diode dual-resistor mod that I highly dissagre with. It was causing MUCH distortion of the negative peak that is totally non-existant in my NPC-RC'ed radios.

When done properly, the modulation is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. The positive peaks have the exact same shape as the modulating sine-wave. The negative peaks approach the Zero line without-touching it-with a beautiful "U" shaped pattern above the Zero line and a beautiful inverted "U" shape approaching the bottem of the Zero line.

Even on a perfectly working unit, you will notice that the screen is brighter at the center, which one guy noted as "trashed"!

It is absolutely unreal that he thinks he knew enough to knock what he was seeing when he didn't even understand what he was seeing.

If the negative peak has to do all of its "work" in an area of the screen that is 1/8 of less the size of the positive peak "working" area, then wouldn't it be natural for the phospherous to glow brighter for the negative peaks since the phosperous gets signal for longer time periods than the positive peaks.

One last thing, NEVER have I had a radio "burn up" from the Mod and I run 16-18 volts on my bench radio because the regulator burnt out years ago and I have never taken the time to fix it. And I use "the red wire on the bottom" on every radio that I do the mod on.

Also I have NEVER had anyone tell me that MY radio sounded any less than perfect except when I had a bad coax and was getting rf feedback from a DRAGON 1000 watt amp.

I started using the NPC-RC in 1981 or early 82 when the Cobra 148 GTL-DX came out--I think it was something like an A02 board.

I wonder why guys out there tell their customers that "the red wire on the bottom" and the NPC-RC are both so bad---:oops:, I forgot--they get $85 dollars for removing it and get to build themselves up by putting me down!

Nuff said for tonight.

73,s

P.S. Hope my fans are having a ball! Thanks for inviting me to the forum. I have learned a lot from other threads.

BDW:whistle:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I have the two mod env. patterns from my site that I want to comment on but do not know how to upload them. How about some help in that? Please!

go to ImageShack® - Online Media Hosting upload the files there, once they are uploaded there links they make for you, simply copy and paste the links into your post

or if you can find it look below the box you type the post in, in additional options, cli\ck manage attachments, then upload through the interface.

Or if you have a problem wuth that email them to wraithpc@gmail.com and I'll post them up for you...

i could care less abour RMS power myself . my radios and amps modulated signals all rely on pep power . but different meters have different levels of accuracy . i didnt read back the whole thread , but who has a meter showing 80 watts from your stock 148 king ?

i bet my lil palomar 225 will do a killowatt on his meter :)

CB DOC does,his shop is in Earl Ark at a TA truck stop.

Oh my, I honestly didn't think he would do that.... Those are definitely some "Happy Watts" You serious Billy Ward set you up with a stock final 148GTL side Mic doing 80 watts?

Why sure he did,i have no reason to tell a lie. I got laid over for a night in Earl Ark at the TA truck stop, his shop is right infront of the truck wash next to the T stop. 80 watts on his meter,thats what he told me and thats what he showed me on his meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.