• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what NPC/RC mod looks like on a scope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh i remember. I remember you doing antoher truckers 148 right before you did mine,you told him his radio was doing the same power. You also are mistaken. NOT one of my radios have any of those little coils spread apart, remember when you did that to mine that i asked you why you were doing something that would cause a radio to show more harmonics and therefore more power on a peak reading meter,you told me thats not how it works,remember?

Now back to the 148. Whether it was doing 80 watts, I don't know and if he will remember, I said that I was not sure of the calibration of my meter as this looked a little high. However, I also made mention that I probably doubled the output no matter what it really was.

Yes you did from 40 to 80 watts.You also never told me or the other guy that your meter could be off,never.Now you did have the top of the meters case off but why would any tech use a meter that is off. I really think you do know your stuff but i think you also know what to do to get someone to hand there money over to you.

But i will back you up on one thing. You made mention somewhere else that none of your radios sound over modulated or distorted,and thats true.Even with all of the things you changed inside that 3300HP (which i got from you just so i could see what you had done to it and the quality of work you do,it's hard to find good techs so i like to look there work over before i spend any real money) it still sounded good. A local driver heard it and buged me for a week until i sold to him!

Sorry about all of the mispelled words but its hard to hit the correct keys when you have a 9 month old sitting on your lap trying to do it for you:LOL:

the point is, your 148GTL IS NOT doing 80 watts its pretty obvious someone is messed up somewhere.... I GUARANTEE you a 148GTL WILL not do 80 watts with a simple tune up.. NO WAY.... I very much doubt it will do half that, even with a 2030, for sure not without more extensive mods.

Believe what you want, but have it checked by someone else.... Those be DOZY watts at best....

OH yes i almost forgot.The radio has 2166 and 1969 finals in it.

ERF-2030,Thats a mosfet final right? Hell i wish it has mosfets in it but to do that upgrade right you have to change more inside the radio than i would want to do myself!

Well regardless of this thread, I think Negative Peak Compression, Has its place, but just like any other Mod done to a CB, or other radio, it can, and is, abused, to the point of getting a bad reputation...

If you have someone who likes to crank the snot out of the Audio, get all loud and shitty sounding, he is going to do it anyway he can.. Disabled AMC/ALC, NPC with a bit of RC, PPE, 15 watt carrier Modulating to 5, drive 2 into 4 into 6 and on down the line.... 500 dollar Mauldulator, Whatever it takes...

These guys have been a part of CB Radio since The first Old Johnny 1 Was "Strapped", and always will be...

And as long as they have money to spend there will be a tech with some "New Mod".....

If you have someone who likes to crank the snot out of the Audio, get all loud and shitty sounding, he is going to do it anyway he can.. Disabled AMC/ALC, NPC with a bit of RC, PPE, 15 watt carrier Modulating to 5... Whatever it takes...

These guys have been a part of CB Radio since The first Old Johnny 1 Was "Strapped", and always will be...

...and thats what pisses me off! I would rather pay a high price for quality work than the normal price for the same old..twist it to the right and max everything out... work that 99.9 % of the CB shops do and charge you for!
People like that are what got me started doing my own work,i dont know everything but i know enough to set one up to be clean.

"I would rather pay a high price for quality work than the normal price for the same old..twist it to the right and max everything out... work that 99.9 % of the CB shops do and charge you for! "

well , it sounds like you set there and watch him work his magic on someone elses 148 and then let him work on yours . claiming 80 watts out of a stock cobra cb anything would have screamed golden screwdriver to me . but apparently you saw things differently at the time .
how do you like your 80 watt 148 now ?

This is a good MOD!! It works well. The first time heard the difference in one of the local guys radio I had to know what was done. This was like a decade(+) ago. My little Galaxy DX55V got a healthy dose of sounding good done to it!!!!!! Its still a part of my shack, I was talking on it today and got a compliment on the audio. One of the locals said it my signal was down but the audio was still real good. I told him thats because I am not talking on my RCI2995DX right now, I have my DX55V hooked up today. I need to get the NPC/RC mod for my RCI!!!!

Hey Guys,

You might as well be smoking crack when you post as to say that I might even, maybe, would think about making my meter wrong. I have NEVER tried to show any more than what the radio will do legitimately.

I do have a very big difference of oppinion as to how to calibrate a peak meter which I am not going to go into on this post.

I have the cover off of the meter because I had an intermittant case problem. Most of you probably kno0w that the PDC-700 has two halves to the bottom of the case.

I took it apart and lost the LITTLE srews to put it back together. The reason the meter fact is off of the meter is that the meter sticks in a number of spots and I was trying to blow it out but instead.

I think that I messed it up permnantly because the little adjustment to adjust the needle to the proper position on the zero mark doesn't adjust any more.

I am going to order a new Astatic PDC-700 and take the meter off of it and put on my old meter.

But, I will tell you hao important it is to me to convince a customer that I have gotten him a great deal of power more than he came in with--ZIP! None! Notta!

I have a new practice. In all most all cases, I will not even have a watt-meter hooked up. The only thing that is very important to me is that the scope and the spec/analyzxer shows beautiful modulation.

For at least the last 15 to 20 customers, I have not used a watt meter at all--don't even have one in line.

I can tell by the scope when the power is tuned to maximum with modulation and that is all that is important to me. The power output of a radio effects the human ear in an exponential manner that requires a doubling of the power just to get a 3dB increase which is at the threshold of human hearing.

I might be thinking of a different customer than the one here on this thread but I don't think so--I think that I would recognize you if you came in.

As far as I know, I have had NO CUSTOMERS within the last 2 months that I did not mention that my meter was not neccessarily accurate--and then I mention that if the meter shows twice as much power as it did when it came that this was the important point to most customers--that they see an improvement!

I am sure that every customer within that time frame klnew that my meter was sticking. When it was hooked up I blew on it constantly while I tried to use it to tune with. I finally gave up and use the scope as the only tuning monitor--except for checking for harmonics with the S/A.

To address the post that said something about even with the 2030 the radio would not do 80 watts. I have not seen any radios that will not show 80 watts when run with a DK of 20 watts and use the NPC-RC.

I don't use that much DK as it would run VERY hot and probably destroy itself.

With the NPC-RC and a 2030, there is absollutely NO reason to doubt 75 watts out with a 148. Why would a good tech not be able to get the rated power out of a great little part like the EKL components?

Are you under the misgiven idea that the part will not do what the manufacturer says it will do. If it would not do 75 watts PEP, then EKL would not rate them at 75 watts PEP!

I think it would do well for those that have not actually used a Bird 43 watt meter to either beg borrow or steal on and experiment with a 148 with a 2030and see how much power you can geet out of it on the bird using a 100 watt slug.

If you can get the DK to show 20 watts on the bird and the meter just flickers upward during 100% modulation you are peaking 80 watts. If you cannot get that kind of reading, then come see me at my shop with your Bird and I will show you how to get that reading.

If you perfer to not try it for yourself maybe you should quit trying to beat a dead cow to death :bdh: by always turning up your nose when a tech claims to get more power than you think is possible.

:D

"If you have someone who likes to crank the snot out of the Audio, get all loud and shitty sounding, he is going to do it anyway he can.. Disabled AMC/ALC, NPC with a bit of RC, PPE, 15 watt carrier Modulating to 5... Whatever it takes..."

NO radio leaves my shop without multiple radio checks. Ask anyone that has ever been in my shop. I say, Driver, does this radio sound like it should sound coming from a cb shop. Unless the drivers come back with "top shelve" or such, the radio does not leave the bench. I have never heard "SNOTY" audio from any of my radios. I am the MOST pick-key tech that ever walked! If it ain't Perfect--It ain't done

This thread is beginning to remind me of the Mauldulator thread. 20 wtts DK, and 80 watts peak power from a single ERF2030? There is alot of back pedaling going on in this thread...

The "80 watt wonder" 148GTL has already been confirmed as 2166 and 1969, those ARE NOT Mosfet, and NOT capable anywhere near 80 watts.

So the question is, who is BS'ing, who is Mistaken? and what are the real facts?

King Mudduck, you've already confirmed the Final and driver in use, are you mistaken? Have you had this radio on another meter?

Hey Guys,

You might as well be smoking crack when you post as to say that I might even, maybe, would think about making my meter wrong. I have NEVER tried to show any more than what the radio will do legitimately.

You wouldn't be the first now would you? We have two contradicting stories on this radio, so one of you is mistaken, or full of shit.... EOS.....

I do have a very big difference of oppinion as to how to calibrate a peak meter which I am not going to go into on this post.

Thanks that is certainly appreciated, the waters are already getting muddy...

I have the cover off of the meter because I had an intermittant case problem. Most of you probably kno0w that the PDC-700 has two halves to the bottom of the case.

I took it apart and lost the LITTLE srews to put it back together. The reason the meter fact is off of the meter is that the meter sticks in a number of spots and I was trying to blow it out but instead.

I think that I messed it up permnantly because the little adjustment to adjust the needle to the proper position on the zero mark doesn't adjust any more.

I am going to order a new Astatic PDC-700 and take the meter off of it and put on my old meter.

What I've gathered from above is you have a broken meter, that is at best giving you questionable readings...

Soooo... Might I ask how you determined these two 148GTL radios have 80 watt output?

How about SSB, you took the time to properly Bias the radio?

I have a new practice. In all most all cases, I will not even have a watt-meter hooked up. The only thing that is very important to me is that the scope and the spec/analyzxer shows beautiful modulation.

Well this is a good thing considering no meter is probably better than a broken one.

For at least the last 15 to 20 customers, I have not used a watt meter at all--don't even have one in line.

I hope this goes well for you, definitely a commendable attempt to get the focus away from output power..

I can tell by the scope when the power is tuned to maximum with modulation and that is all that is important to me. The power output of a radio effects the human ear in an exponential manner that requires a doubling of the power just to get a 3dB increase which is at the threshold of human hearing.

Yes I'm sure the average truck driver is going to be 100% secure in this method, especially when he meets up with some of your critics.

I might be thinking of a different customer than the one here on this thread but I don't think so--I think that I would recognize you if you came in.

Well I will say this much, there does certainly seem to be some confusion involved in this 80 watt 148...

As far as I know, I have had NO CUSTOMERS within the last 2 months that I did not mention that my meter was not neccessarily accurate--and then I mention that if the meter shows twice as much power as it did when it came that this was the important point to most customers--that they see an improvement!

Well it does seem that at least two of your customers, both sporting 80 watt 148's seem to have been NOT told.

I am sure that every customer within that time frame klnew that my meter was sticking. When it was hooked up I blew on it constantly while I tried to use it to tune with.

(y):LOL: I'm sorry but this is just funny as hell, not trying to poke fun at ya, but I can just imagine a Driver coming in to have his radio worked on, and the tech explaining why he has to "blow' on his meter.....

I finally gave up and use the scope as the only tuning monitor--except for checking for harmonics with the S/A.

I'm sure that will be much easier than explaining the interesting way you have to make your meter work. :eek:

To address the post that said something about even with the 2030 the radio would not do 80 watts. I have not seen any radios that will not show 80 watts when run with a DK of 20 watts and use the NPC-RC.

However, we are not talking about a balls to the wall bench test, but a every day talker... I think you've read one to many "Davemade" Ads. You should save this explanation for the next driver who questions your 80 watt tune....

I don't use that much DK as it would run VERY hot and probably destroy itself.

You think? So how the hell is this "stock" driver/final radio, (or even give you the ERF2030 radio) doing 80 watts...

Again I stand by my statement, NO WAY will a stock 148GTL even approach 80 watts. A Mosfet equipped 148, given the "right", or wrong conditions, depending on your point of view, could conceivably run at 80 watts.

I did already make this point when mentioning the 60 watt Washinton.

80 watt daily talker naaa..... Sorry......

With the NPC-RC and a 2030, there is absollutely NO reason to doubt 75 watts out with a 148.

See Urban Dictionary: balls to the walls

Why would a good tech not be able to get the rated power out of a great little part like the EKL components?

It seems to me you've very skillfully shifted the attention away from the fact this radio in question DOES NOT have an ERF2030 in it..

Are you under the misgiven idea that the part will not do what the manufacturer says it will do. If it would not do 75 watts PEP, then EKL would not rate them at 75 watts PEP!

Is this how you always shift attention away from the real question?:blink:

I think it would do well for those that have not actually used a Bird 43 watt meter to either beg borrow or steal on and experiment with a 148 with a 2030and see how much power you can geet out of it on the bird using a 100 watt slug.

Well since you have absolutely no idea what I may, or may not have for test equipment, you should probably concern yourself more with doing something about that meter you have to blow, and less about what I use, or my exerience level.

You've decided to pop off on a debateable issue to force focus away from the issue at hand. A veteran indeed....

If you can get the DK to show 20 watts on the bird and the meter just flickers upward during 100% modulation you are peaking 80 watts. If you cannot get that kind of reading, then come see me at my shop with your Bird and I will show you how to get that reading.

Again skillfully done from an individual who is well versed in defending his work. Obviously this would be a radio suitable to represent your shop and be used as a daily talker. I mean according to what has already been posted you've already got at least 2 148 GTL radios doing just that.

If you perfer to not try it for yourself maybe you should quit trying to beat a dead cow to death :bdh: by always turning up your nose when a tech claims to get more power than you think is possible.

:D

That is a Horse Doc.... :unsure:

I will conclude this post with the statement I know your a decent Tech, and thought you were a bit better then the average screwdriver jockey.

But you've proven to me by your skill at sidestepping, and having an explanation for everything, shadows your technical prowess.

You are right though, this is certainly :bdh:

73, I wish you well.

King Mudduck, you've already confirmed the Final and driver in use, are you mistaken? Have you had this radio on another meter?

Sure did,on my meter i'm getting the same ammount of power (18 watts ) that i did before he turned the one pot and did the spring thing,all he really did was lower the dead key. He did check SSB but told me that it needed nothing.

And i'm am very very sure he knew who i was from the start of my posting on this,i told him what my screen name was here on this forum and over at CBtricks.

BOOTY MONSTER"I would rather pay a high price for quality work than the normal price for the same old..twist it to the right and max everything out... work that 99.9 % of the CB shops do and charge you for! "

well , it sounds like you set there and watch him work his magic on someone elses 148 and then let him work on yours . claiming 80 watts out of a stock cobra cb anything would have screamed golden screwdriver to me . but apparently you saw things differently at the time .
how do you like your 80 watt 148 now ?

Oh your right.I set there and watched what he did to the other drivers radio and then let him do mine just to see for my self the kind of work he did. I'm always on the lookout for a good CB tech and dont mind spending a little money just to see for myself what he does,good or bad. Hell i gave him a very nice Stryker 490 for his older Connex 3300HP.....just to see what his NPC/RC mod looked like. It's no big deal,i got radios sitting on my self that i never use so trading it for the connex to see the quality of work he does was worth it.

......oh and Booty,i knew from the start that there was no way in hell that a 148 would do 80 watts,i'm far from stupid. I just wanted to see what he did to get that amount of power and how far his meter was off.

Sure did,on my meter i'm getting the same ammount of power (18 watts ) that i did before he turned the one pot and did the spring thing,all he really did was lower the dead key. He did check SSB but told me that it needed nothing.

Curious, what did he charge you for this "work" If you don't want to say, thats cool, just curious what he considers a fair price for what he did?

Also was the Connex up to his claims?

Well Guys, I don't mind being the but of the shit here spoken. But I will comment on a few things. First of all, I know that the picture is a horse--however, the usual term used for something that everyone believes religiously is a "Sacred Cow". I figured you would see the connection.

I do not believe that I did any work during that time period and NOT mention that my meter was out of calibration! If so, come back into my shop with the 148 and I will give you your money back if you think that I purposely tried to screw you out of your money.

And I haven't side-stepped anything. I said that I believed the radio in question had a 2030 in it. I must have missed out on some of the above post because I never did see him confirm that the radio had a 1969 in it.

Also you asked me how If I didn't run the 20 swinging to 80 how the hell did I get the 2 swing to 80. Simple! That is what a NPC-RC'ED radio does with a 2030. That is from about 65 to 85. If it doesn't get at least 75 then there is something wrong,.

You said the water was already muddy so you were glad I did not go into the thing about the proper way to calibrate a peak meter.

Does anyone remember the time that Gene Raines, Bill Eitner, and myself were having this same argument on my forum, THE CB CLINICS OF AMERICA back in about 2000 and two celebraties--namely Walt Maxwell and Herb Shatwell came to my defence. If there are those on this forum, I will go into that subject deeper

Until then, I would like to know what some of you think about the following! If you have a transmitter that is doing 5 DK watts on a bird watt meter (no peak adapter) and the scope is calibrated and set to show 4 divisions on the carrier pattern. And further, during 100% modulation, show 8 divisions during modulation what will the reading be during the 100% peaks on YOUR peak-reading meter?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated