• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What or Who is your most trusted Transistor interchange reference?

Dmans

Jan 22, 2017
Georgia
I have a friends Kenwood TS-940S with a power supply(or AVR board) problem (as has been well documented). Since I do not trust most e-Bay sellers, I have been looking for an EQUIVILENT (not substitute) replacement for the AVR boards Q103-originally a 2SD1266QP-my example or a 2SD843Y per the service manual.

I am just interested in what lists, books or websites you have found reliable for transistor equivilent replacements.

David

Reactions: Eldorado828

That's just it. I prefer to compare the specs of a substitute with those of the part being subbed. That way I can decide which parameter needs to be close, and which ones need only be in the ballpark.

An audio circuit won't care much about a difference if Ft, but RF circuits probably will.

For decades we used databooks from CQ publishing in Japan. Couldn't read the text, but the specs had english equivalents alongside the kana. This worked for all the "2S" parts so long as you had an up-to-date copy. They also published diode, FET and integrated-circuit databooks for jap-numbered parts. Had a transistor-substitution book, too. Listed the part-to-sub on the left, and had a column for each japanese transistor manufacturer. Some parts would show subs from 8 or 9 different brands. Other more-specialized transistors might only show one or two competitors selling a part that matched. Tricky part was figuring out which brand name went with each chicken scratch at the top of a column. No english translation was shown for that.

In this era, alldatasheet.com has most newer stuff. Another one, datasheet archive has more obsolete stuff.

You'll need some heavy-duty bruiser transistors for the TS940 main regulator. Much more cost-effective solution is the switchmode supply and regulator board built to match the TS940. Installed the equivalent kit in my TS930. Never regretted it. They use the name Compudigital Industries, web site is: https://k6iok.com/

Repairing up the analog power supply got really annoying in the 930/940 radios. Seems the regulator board would always sustain damage. I've had it in my 930 for over a year, no trouble yet. Also, got tired of the linear's temp sensor going bad. Hooked up the fan to run when the transmitter is keyed, and shut off when you unkey. Not everyone's favorite solution, but it works for me.

Reactions: Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.