• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What to do?

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I just got my Cobra 29LX Camo from Bells CB. I asked for a tune and variable power. When I received the radio they did not do the variable power. After talking to the company they said they would cover shipping back and forth and do a MOSFET final and the variable power for 62 discounted from 94. My other option is to buy a soldering iron and do a swing kit myself. I have some soldering experience, but haven't done it in a long time. What do you think I should do? I'm kinda worried about sending the radio from AZ to Florida a couple times.

Thanks
NICK

Did you pay for the mods? If you did and they didn't provide then STOP now and don't touch that radio. Pack it up and send it back, tell them you want a new radio that they can mod the way you wanted it in the first place while the other one is in route. Sending it back an forth is asking for trouble. If they refuse then ask for a full refund and ship the radio back and order from a honest dealer.

If you didn't pay for the mod then never mind.

Reactions: 1 person
Bells is a good shop.

if they are willing to cover the shipping, i would send it back to them.

you cover the insurance on the way there and ask them to cover it on the way back to you.

its not like you cant buy another one if things go wrong.
LC

Reactions: 3 people
Send it back to them and let them do it, They will back their work up and if you do it and anything goes wrong with the radio even if it has nothing to do with what you might do or may have done the whole warranty is VOID or no good. Are you willing to take that chance?? JUst send it back to them and they can set you up its your best bet at this particular point ;)

Why do you want to downgrade to a crappy MOSFET final? Not that MOSFET's are crappy just that the one's typically used in CB gear are not even RF devices but better suited to a solid state switch.

Reactions: 2 people
Why do you want to downgrade to a crappy MOSFET final? Not that MOSFET's are crappy just that the one's typically used in CB gear are not even RF devices but better suited to a solid state switch.

I was kinda wondering the same thing?? I would leave that final section alone and only do Mosfet swaps or mods when a person has to. I would think a person would want to stay with a proven true solid method. The one thing that totally gets me is when doing this mod because of that few extra Watts its pointless and a waste of money!! Why you ask well its simple, The power or extra few watts you just paid to do or have done MAKES NO DIFFERENCE ON THE RECIEVING END!! Nobody is ever going to notice that little change in power and if you really sit back and look at what you spent to have it done thats 3/4 of the money you would have needed purchase a 150 - 200 watt amplifier and thats where the recieving end would see and hear the difference you were looking to acheive ;)

Remember your best bang for your buck is that first 250 - 500 Watts and after that its gonna be $$$$$$$$ to even make a difference. It takes 4 times the power to make 1 S-unit on the receiving end so jsut sit down and think about that once and start looking at amplifier prices and where some purchases can be a waste of money. I run all my amplifiers even my big ones at between 400 - 500 Watts and I know Im babying them and still getting the job done. I also know that with my wifes mobile setups we have talked allover the world on both the Kenwood TS-50 and the Yaesu 857D when she had them in her vehicles that 857D was 80 watts Average and 100 watts on a Peak Reading meter and the kenwood well thats doing about 130 watts on a PEP meter.

People just really have to research how this whole RF power thing works and you may be surprised at what you learn or may even kick yourself in the @$$ I know I wanted to boot myself when I actually started researching what I was hearing and reading about RF power on the receiving end. I often think about how much money I spent not only on the amplifiers but all the setup antennas, aternators wiring ETC. I know better now and know from experience what it takes to get my signal out on any band I want to work and its not half as much as I used to think when I was into or started in 11 meters. I was like anyone else POWER POWER POWER!! The bigger the amplifier the better the setup and signal.

Then I learned about how important the antenna is and how that first few hundred watts made the biggest difference. Theres alot of good reading out there on this subject its extremely shocking and interesting stuff.

Deal with Bells and Get what ( the both of you agree to) And if the two of you can't agree ship it back after stopping payment or your card. I would think that some kind of agreement can be made. CB radios can take a lot of abuse they travel the nations highways every day. Just don't drive through New Jersey you will loose your 18 wheeler in a pot hole.

Don't be ridiculous. Ship the radio back. Get what you paid for or get your money back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Obviously you either paid with a credit card, debit or PayPal. I would report it to them and let them deal with it and never go back to this company again. This isn't the first one of these stories I have heard about them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?