• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what's a decent free band radio?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City

would like large frequency coverage, AM, FM, SSB... maybe even a frequency counter...

would like a base but a mobile is fine too

ideas for under $350

There are two 2510's in the forum swap shop, if they do indeed work front to back it does not get much better than that for SSB and frequency coverage.

Last edited:
I'll think outside of the box here.... Kenwood TS-430S. You can find them with FM boards for the price you are talking, and they are easy to convert. Sometimes you get lucky and they have a sideband filter. 100 watts out, and they even sound good with a stock mic. Frequency counter can be expanded an extra digit by removing a resistor. Only 8 "channels" for memory, but that is plenty for the major hangouts and call frequencies. AM can be made to sound pretty darned good on transmit if you keep the carrier down to about 15-20 watts. But you need the wide AM filter to receive very well without playing with the RIT offset. Like I said, sometimes you get lucky and get one loaded with the filters.

Inside the box, I'd say Lincoln/2510, Omegaforce, or 2950DX.

RT307

would like large frequency coverage, AM, FM, SSB... maybe even a frequency counter...

would like a base but a mobile is fine too

ideas for under $350

Mag-257 ....

But remember there is no such thing as a freeband that in mind stay off of 28.000 - 29.700mhz and no one will realy care .....

my two choices would be Ranger 2950DX and Magnum Omegaforce S45HP The Omegaforce has a little more punch also Echo and the Top gun compressor and modulator. The Ranger operates more like a Ham radio but is also very nice. If you were to get a Ham ticket the Ranger is a better radio, Paired with a small AB1 amp with 100-200 watts and your a world talker on Ten meters.Just my personal thoughts, Others may not agree.

my two choices would be Ranger 2950DX and Magnum Omegaforce S45HP The Omegaforce has a little more punch also Echo and the Top gun compressor and modulator. The Ranger operates more like a Ham radio but is also very nice. If you were to get a Ham ticket the Ranger is a better radio, Paired with a small AB1 amp with 100-200 watts and your a world talker on Ten meters.Just my personal thoughts, Others may not agree.

Yes, the S45 would work too.
However no one uses AM mode, echo, or the TG modulator on the freeband.
Just maybe the TG compressor on USB and LSB.

if you dont need am the kenwood ts530 is a killer ssb talker that has excelent audio on both recieive and transmit and more then 125w punch thats hard to equal. they go for about $300 but you will need 2 $20 11m crystals instaled into the 28.0 and 28.5 slots for 27.0 - 28.0
its so much better than a cb rig you wont want to go back
wait til you hear the receive audio coming out of this radio and realize how tight the receiver is with the best nb made
kenwood-ts-530sp.jpg

889486E5-AE1F-4135-AC68-E3488BAC73FD.jpg

put a turner +3 on it!

heres a couple that closed recently
Kenwood TS-530S SSB Transceiver | eBay
Kenwood TS-530S Transceiver | eBay

if you dont need am the kenwood ts530 is a killer ssb talker that has excelent audio on both recieive and transmit and more then 125w punch thats hard to equal. they go for about $300 but you will need 2 $20 11m crystals instaled into the 28.0 and 28.5 slots for 27.0 - 28.0
its so much better than a cb rig you wont want to go back
wait til you hear the receive audio coming out of this radio and realize how tight the receiver is with the best nb made
kenwood-ts-530sp.jpg

889486E5-AE1F-4135-AC68-E3488BAC73FD.jpg

put a turner +3 on it!

heres a couple that closed recently
Kenwood TS-530S SSB Transceiver | eBay
Kenwood TS-530S Transceiver | eBay

He'll have as much fun keeping that thing running as he would an old 1978 AMC Pacer.

Reactions: 3 people
While I do agree with all the moble radio's listed, if you really want a base you could look for an old school Cobra 2000 or Uniden Madison. All you would need is a nice simple alignment, tune, clarifier unlock, and extra channels. Combine that with a decent desk mic and a 2 pill class AB amplifier and you can have all kinds of fun.

That said I have a Magnum 257HP & RCI 2950 sitting on top of my Madison just in case.

He'll have as much fun keeping that thing running as he would an old 1978 AMC Pacer.

yeah i guess your right. not a lot of guys smart enough to actually operate a real radio anymore.
now if you would have said he would have as much fun keeping that thing running as he would an old 1973 bmw 3.0 csi your comparison would be in the same ballpark.
those 530s will be around still working the world long after tons of magnums rangers and galaxys are parts rigs.
you really shouldnt talk about things you dont know when someone might be smart enough to give one a try.
12by7 drivers are still plentyfull and so are 6146 finals which only last about 30 years and the ssb filtering is so far superoir to your cb and export rigs its like comparing a $35 plate of new york restaurant spagetti to chef boyardee.
maybe it isnt as frequency stable as a newer ham rig because its a vfo not a vco but after 10 minutes it might drift a whole 20hz. big deal. thats alot less drift then any cb or export rig.
and because its a vfo it will also be a whole lot quieter receiver with better ears because of alot less phaze noise then almost anything made today especially considering the price. theres almost nothing that can come within a football field of its performance for anywhere near the price
you just never know til you give one a try.
i see one just went for over $500 on ebay http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=180764712691

530's are nice rigs. Drivers and finals will last a long time with proper use.

The rig is old, their are plenty of other components in that rig that are nearing the end of their service life. It sounds like he wants a good simple rig to operate freeband, not a money pit.

I share your admiration for the older stuff. The seller you linked from ebay has a reputation, not unlike, that of Radio-Mart. He also has the same habit of glorifying the description of his wares.
BTW, I can operate anything you put in front of me, and do it well.

:)

my main rig is a ft-990 but im looking for another 530 because i sold mine years ago but i love the sound so much. its like its got magic in the receive audio. i cant think of much in those old workhorses that is ready to fail. they were built to last

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.