• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's happening to the Magnetic N. Pole??

Anyone ever spin an egg?

Hard to do when it's liquid core takes up the energy from the spin - it becomes unstable.

Now cook the egg - hard boiled,

Now you can spin it...

Think about that...

Reactions: Rwb
... edit...

On January 30 (delayed due to the US Government shutdown), the World Magnetic Model — which governs modern navigation systems — is due to undergo an urgent update.

This model is a vital component of systems ranging from geopositioning systems used to navigate ships through to smartphone trackers and maps...

This story originally appeared in news.com.au.

What a line of C#$P!

Oh Nooo!!! Navigation systems will fail.Ships will get lost. ect.

This update is not cancelled.
The real purpose of this (fake) news is to create fear.
NASA has a written plan and it clearly states which areas will/will not be affected by the shutdown.

Its a long read, but, the bottom line is only a few programs will actually be affected.

"important":ROFLMAO: highly visible to the public things like
Nasa visits to schools, tours of NASA facilities, NASA TV broadcasts. :rolleyes::rolleyes: will be affected

Normal everyday projects will continue as usual.
In fact,projects such as this where property damage/life threatening danger my occur are SPECIFICALLY listed as unaffected areas.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/181218_revised_shutdown_plan.pdf

Perhaps the earth is wobbling in its path,like a top spinning?
In a way, yes.

It's called precession...

You can read about it here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession

The earth does wobble - in our current northern view hemisphere, the sky we see on a clear starry night - we can find constellations and if we look for asterisms like The Big Dipper and Little Dipper, we can find the North Star, Polaris.

For centuries, thousands of years even - the north star had always "appeared" as Polaris, because of the Earths rotation and tilt on it's axis. It always appeared that in the sky, stars rotated around it.

But it does wobble and the precession will eventually point the Earths' axis to another star "Vega" and at that time - the Southern Cross they use currently as guide stars (and many a song) for south of the Equator, will be visible to us. It'll be low on the horizon, but visible in the sky.

Last edited:
There is more Iron and nickel in the core and mantle by far than there is found on the entire surface crust of the planet. No comparison - really. That's not it. Nice try.

Remember, pole reversal has occurred several times in the geological history that has already been determined. All on its own. Has nothing to do with our use of iron.
Maybe it's just like global warming? We can't prove that we are not effecting it so we must be.

If it did that we would have very rapidly changing seasons throughout the year........many,many of them.
We are extremely fortunate to live in a time and on a planet, that offers seasons and a slow enough rotation to make up 1 day as cycle and our "trip around the sun" a year that repeats - not exactly every time - but it's slow precession is not noticeable and only affects navigation - and in an offbeat way, star charts - Right Ascension and Declination - All that jazz...But it's cumulative - meaning - the error - it adds up...

But one thing I did want to point out that can add to this problem are two...

One - our Moon,
OurMoon.png

Secondly - a Great Impactor...

Great-Impact-Debates.jpg

Well, Harlem Globetrotters show off their ability to spin a basketball on their finger, and stay spinning - but they have to add energy to it to do so.

A similar event can have devastating consequences for our future if the "impactor" struck at an angle and with enough force and mass - to force the inertial spin we have now - to be redirected and not only change rotation but add a tangential roll and increase or even stop our spin entirely.

If it did that we would have very rapidly changing seasons throughout the year........many,many of them.
we have changing seasons ,the wobble takes a long time.some winters are not as cold as others,we tilted closer to the sun,next winter might be colder or same depends on how far we tilt

we have changing seasons ,the wobble takes a long time.some winters are not as cold as others,we tilted closer to the sun,next winter might be colder or same depends on how far we tilt

Ummmmm........it doesn't work like that. Changes in temps from one year to the next are not related to the degree of tilt changing. One complete cycle of the Earth's change in tilt takes 26,000 years which is immeasurable over one year to the next.

No, this one lies squarely on the back of all those refrigerator magnets we threw away when we upgraded the old "ColdSpot<TM>" to our Samsung Wi-Fi - "Hey Your Milks Dry" - Replacements.

Landfill Lodestones' Revenge...
umhumm you hit that nail square on the head with a 32 ounce framing hammer

Reactions: Handy Andy
I still have a ColdSpot in my garage. Holds all the soft drinks that my diabetic ass can’t drink now. But it sure does make some Aquafina cold as all get out. They don’t make’um like the used to that’s for sure.

Reactions: Handy Andy and Rwb
I still have a ColdSpot in my garage. Holds all the soft drinks that my diabetic ass can’t drink now. But it sure does make some Aquafina cold as all get out. They don’t make’um like the used to that’s for sure.
i wonder how many old refrigerators that worked flawlessly ended up in the junk due to keepin up with the joneses ? Or redecorating,remodeling a house?
I got an old philco thats older than me still working in my shop.dad bought it new when he got married

i wonder how many old refrigerators that worked flawlessly ended up in the junk due to keepin up with the joneses ? Or redecorating,remodeling a house?
I got an old philco thats older than me still working in my shop.dad bought it new when he got married

Had a neighbor still using a water heater from 1919. A cast-iron work of porcelain art it was. Instant-on.

But back to our subject: Ask resident science expert and Magical Negro Neil DeGrasse Tyson. The imprimatur of “science” (who paid for it?), and the religious blessing for those congenitally confused about what’s important. “Here’s what you need to know”.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.