• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

where is the input tuning cap located

.... Moving parts tend to fail first. If it will be run on a desk as a base amplifier, no problem. But if it's going into a dump truck, the fixed capacitor will take longer to become a problem than the variable one will.

Not a tech but as a trucker I can agree with this, something like an old Mack will definitely find the weak points in the design of anything installed in it.

Fixed value parts are also harder for people who have no business working on their own equipment to screw up.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yep, C8 would be the one......

8aad18b0-0504-4dda-9274-ee26a98fc9cf.png
Thanks for the reply Ranch 55.
I like your diagram better than the parts layout I was using. lol I am going to try to mount the trimmer so that I can drill a hole in the side of the amp and tune it without taking the cover off. Do you know if a trimmer at C16 would allow me to tune the output?

I have it on the base antenna in the garage right now and soon I will move it to the house when I get that antenna up. I would also like to put it in my truck for a while, swapping stuff around and trying different things and learning what is needed is one of the best parts of this hobby.
Thanks again, 73s
Chris

Last edited:
I know this is an ancient thread but after tuning the mica cap to achieve lowest reflected power I find that the output of my amp decreases by about 60w. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with that as long as that's normal and not bad for the amps circuit. Had anyone else experienced this? Thanks

Ideally, max output should occur when the input SWR is lowest.

In the real world, there will be a compromise between how high you'll allow the input SWR and how much of a power cut you'll tolerate to get a low input SWR.

Tweaking other parts may improve this, but you won't see enough additional power to justify the effort and expense.

Ideally, max output should occur when the input SWR is lowest.

In the real world, there will be a compromise between how high you'll allow the input SWR and how much of a power cut you'll tolerate to get a low input SWR.

Tweaking other parts may improve this, but you won't see enough additional power to justify the effort and expense.

Could some of the added power be due to spurious emissions because of the bad input match, and fixing that brought it down? Trying to learn something here.

I know this is an ancient thread but after tuning the mica cap to achieve lowest reflected power I find that the output of my amp decreases by about 60w.

Anytime you see this, you know the the input transformers have not been wound with a ratio that matches the 50 ohm input. Depending on the number of turns, it could be higher or lower. When you set the input to match whatever the impedance the two input transformers show when combined (half of whatever one of the two input transformers represents), the amplifier makes more output than it does when tuned at a "perfect" 50 ohm match.

That's because maximum power transfer occurs when the load impedance, macthes the source impedance. In this case, the source is your radios transmitter (50 ohms) and the load is the input section of the amplifier (something other than 50 ohms). Because maximum power transfer is not occurring at minimum input VSWR, we know the two input transformers are not each providing a 100 ohm load, to each side of the input splitter. Which, is required for the input of that splitter to show a 50 ohm load to your radio.

Adding to this problem is that these RF transformers only allow certain fixed ratios for impedance matching and sometimes you find yourself needing a match that is in between two fixed values. You have two choices on how to handle that problem. Take the easy way out and just add a padder cap. Deciding on the value, based on how much of a compromise you want to make between a good 50 ohm input match, or more drive power actually making its way to the input of the transistors, by matching the different input impedance they show at the input splitter.

The second choice is to install additional parts to form a circuit that can take whatever impedance is actually at the input splitter and match it back to the 50 ohm radio. There are a wide range of circuits that can do this, including the "L", "T" and "PI" networks.

Could some of the added power be due to spurious emissions because of the bad input match, and fixing that brought it down? Trying to learn something here.
Without a spectrum analyzer, it can be difficult but not impossible to detect this condition. Using a resonant antenna that has a good 50 ohm match at the operating frequency and a VSWR meter, you might uncover the answer to this question. If your VSWR is much higher with the amp on (once recalibrated and assuming the antenna is rated for that power), you have a problem.

If on AM your VSWR meter "swings" backwards and your power meter swings forwards, you have a problem. Both of those symptoms are a direct indication that you have "other" frequencies present in your signal, than the one the antenna can provide a good VSWR at. This is more often a case of an oscillation than is it spurious or harmonic emission but, that degree of diagnostics does require the spectrum analyzer. Needless to say, I've seen lots of TS amps show this problem. Especially when that 10uh choke on the output burns up.

Unfortunately, I don't have an SA nor the technical knowledge to diagnose that deeply. But when connected to a 50ohm dummy load, the amp will run with only about a half watt reflected power. I have a very good match...less than 1.1:1 on my 5/8 ground plane. As soon as I go through the antenna the SWR spikes up to about 1.3:1. It seems these dei pills do not like even a small amount of increase in SWR. They seem extremely sensitive to it. I smoked a 4 pill dei amp once before from the same. I can get it down almost flat by slightly tuning the compression cap. Just a slight decrease in power output. My only concern was if this could damage the amp in any way and it sounds like the decrease in power is normal. When the weather breaks I do plan on tweaking the antenna to get the match even better than it is. That will hopefully cure the issue. Man, I miss my Toshibas!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.