• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which multiband antenna?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I am setting up a new station, so far I have gotten a nice Kenwood TS-520.
I am looking for an antenna that will cover mainly 80/40 meters or more without a tuner.

I am looking into feeding this with either BuryFlex or LMR-400 or ?.

The run will most likely be about 150ft.

I have been looking at G5RV and Windom type antennas but I am a little skeptical...

T23

A G5RV is certainly one option. So is a 'fan' dipole, and I think it would be a better one. It really depends on the room you have available to put an antenna up.
If you are set on using LMR-400 or 'buryflex' then have at it. Both are a bit 'overkill' for HF but shouldn't be a problem.
- 'Doc

Overkill? What would you recommend as far as coax goes?

Rg-213 maby?

I have plenty of space avalable. 5 acres of nothing but trees!

I have to span a driveway from the peak of the roof to get to the wooded area( 30 to 40 feet). I wanted to get the antenna as high as possible thats what the rest of the span is for. The drive way is right next to the house.

A fan dipole may be the answer. what I did not get about the g5rv was the "vertical radiator".

T23

That 'vertical radiator' is a bunch of horse hocky. That twin lead is part of the antenna's impedance matching network. If it's made correctly it doesn't radiate at all, just matches impedance. Yes, it probably will radiate, but nothing significant. You should also keep in mind that the G5RV is designed as a 20 meter antenna, it just happens to work half decently on harmonics, IF a tuner is used. As such, it's always a compromise on any band other than 20 meters. That's particularly true for 40 and 80 meters.
What about feed line? I think I'd use something 'better' than RG-58, but after that it isn't going to make a hill of beans worth of difference on 40 or 80 meters. want to use LMR-400? Use it. You will not hear a difference (and 'they' won't either :)). At least, that's been my experience.
- 'Doc

I am setting up a new station, so far I have gotten a nice Kenwood TS-520.
I am looking for an antenna that will cover mainly 80/40 meters or more without a tuner.

W3DZZ hanging at least 20m over the ground.
If you can't hang it as high go for two vertical antennas.
Mike

Ok, just ordered 150ft of rg-213 and a 3 ft jumper. I thought that veritical radiator was a load of malarkey too. Now to just decide on and antenna......

I have a fan dipole for 10, 15 and 20. I really like it. I only have it up around 27'

I have had decent results with full size Windoms as well. An on board tuner will tweak the edges.

Sounds like you have a nice experimental lot. The 213 will certainly be fine. Just weatherproof everything well.

Reactions: 1 person
Mr

A G5RV should be your first choice as i recmmend. Also do check for good quality "fan dipoles" also. They works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid I wouldn't say a G5RV was a good antenna either, except on 20 meters. All I can think of is that those thinking it is a good antenna have never used a good one before. A dipole is about the cheapest and the most common 'basic' antenna as you can find/make. A 'fan' dipole is just several of those dipoles with a common feed line. If you have to use a 'compromise' antenna, I honestly don't think you could do any better. Of course, there are situations where a 'fan' dipole isn't going to be the best you can do, mainly because you don't have the room. Oh well...
- 'Doc

If you've got 5 acres to play with, I would consider a full wave loop for the low bands. If you've got the budget to put up a tower, you have lots of options for the higher HF bands that will outperform the wire antennas. Just something else to think about.

Horizontal loop for 160m

I will second this,I have heard alot of good things about the loop,I talk to several on 80 meters that use this antenna and those that use it really like it...have a listen to 3987.5 at around 6 PM central for the Arkansas traffic net /Razorback net ...several of those guys run the loop

The fan dipole is another one to give a hard look towards, and no tuner needed.Been seriously thinking of home brewing one of these

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.