• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which one would you buy and why

Hope to god that if you're running mobile you've drilled a hole in the vehicle for the mount. Magmounts and lip mounts won't cut it with that power, neither will RG58 coax.

A good way to burn money. It won't get you any further than 100W will mobile because the topography and radio horizon are your limiting factors, not power.

I guess you don't know that if the power is doubled that will gain 1/2 an s unit????
I guess more than 1 full s unit is insignificant in your eyes.
Magnet mounts won't cut it for that power??????? WRONG! I know quite a few people who would prove you wrong.
The only thing in your post that I agree with is that RG58 coax won't handle the power.

Last edited:
Reason I said a TS amp is because awhile back I was looking at buying a new TS amp, that was because all the research I did on there amps shows it been a cleaner amp, saw the 500 and the 1600dx on a scope in a video, and it shows it having a cleaner pattern, guess you call it....

The 1600dx was showed on a scope using a driver which was a modulator/1 pill and it was told then to be a class c amp.....without the driver it was said to be cleaner, and would swing 900 watts, seems like was a class b or a AB, don't remember its been awhile, but all clean audio on ssb..

Have never ran a TS amp, was just going on what the research had all showed me.....incase your wondering what I did go with, bought a new FT 450d radio instead....

All I have ever ran myself is XF amps, ran there MS 250 w/2290's, MF 350 w/2879's, TNT 600HD, and a XF40012HD amp....and all these amps was purchased back before 2009...got good service out of all of them......that 600HD, now I loved running that amp in my truck, ran a Magnum S9 w/1969 finals in it, and didn't use a driver with that radio, and the antenna was a Predator 10k, and have to say it talked great in dx....I myself like that 600HD was a sweet amp....not sure how clean it would show on a scope, but everyone gave good reports on how it sounded...

Reactions: Drifter

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Everything is El Dead-o. Joy!
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Please advise me to what is a good replacement mic for my SR-497HPC... Answer: 497 is "wired like Cobra", so many choices available. That radio does not need a power mic, so purchase a stock "coffin style" mic with a decent cord, like the ones that Astatic uses. The Superstar DM-507 is my go-to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3050474478...adANq91JSiEEnz8EGqPJRBloTgEyaVsBoCtoMQAvD_BwE $12.99 + .99 cent shipping.