• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which one would you buy and why

Neither one.

Both will allow you to talk further than you can hear with a mobile antenna. Thus the extra wattage is a waste of money and just creates more QRM on the band.

Reactions: mrgumby
Neither one.

Both will allow you to talk further than you can hear with a mobile antenna. Thus the extra wattage is a waste of money and just creates more QRM on the band.
Neither one.

Thank you, But i was looking for info on which is the better of the 2?

Last edited:
If you like SSB mode the AB biased one, If just AM mode the B biased.

Depends on what mode you prefer to operate.

AB is cleaner on SSB, B is not as clean as the AB in SSB

None of the above will run on a stock alternator, also there is TVI/RFI issues top be concerned with, your vehicles on board computer and electronic sensors just to name a few.

http://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/sshfamp.html

some reading on SS HF amps

Honestly, once you start pulling a load. The bias will drop out. The class ab will maybe be low B at best. Same with the other. Neither is regulated. Not sure on tnt, but on ts I have seen it drop to .4v. Not enough to be called bias. Transistor tor isn't turned on at that point. I don't even think it's conducting at that point

Reactions: bob85
Neither one.

:ROFLMAO: you're a funny guy. incorrect, but funny.

no experience with xforce, but my smaller texas star ran for many years reliably and to great effect.
I expect you'll be happy with it.

Hope to god that if you're running mobile you've drilled a hole in the vehicle for the mount. Magmounts and lip mounts won't cut it with that power, neither will RG58 coax.

A good way to burn money. It won't get you any further than 100W will mobile because the topography and radio horizon are your limiting factors, not power.

Reactions: TonyV225
Space cowboy, what part of that post is incorrect? Just interested to know, perhaps you can share some of your knowledge

Last edited:
Drifter, you should read up on biasing and compare regulated versus unregulated. Probably few good reads on this site. Then you would understand what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Drifter
Space cowboy, what part of that post is incorrect? Just interested to know, perhaps you can share some of your knowledge
that might be how it would work in a 4 watt world, but it isn't. so he's broadcasting farther than he can hear. so is the other guy using their amp. so while he couldn't hear the person that's hearing him if they were running 4 watts, since they also are broadcasting farther than they can hear, they can hear.

besides, it's always nice to have a few extra's to walk over the idiots.

Last edited:
Amplifier increases the output.
Amplifier does not increase the GAIN of the antenna.

Laws of reciprocity do not apply to an amplifier.

An antenna on the other hand if it has gain in transmit it also has gain in receive.

As you stated if two operators have yahoo radios and BIG amplifiers installed then YES they would BOTH be able to talk further and receive further within the limits of the antenna system height.

Does not matter how many watts you have in a mobile antenna system, line of sight is still line of sight.

Unless you of course have came up with some way to change the laws of physics, OR straighten the curvature of the Earth.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.