• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who always keeps "protection" handy???? (antenna related!)

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Does anyone put any kind of lightning protection on their coax anymore?

I've been looking around lately and most of them say that they don't protect from a straight on hit....and with the energy in lightning..... I would say NOT!!!!!!! But what DOES everyone do to "make themselves giggle" when it comes to lightning protection on an antenna.... like the venerable old A99?

I know about ground rods and heavy wires/straps to the mast..... but that doesn't offer any protection to the signal path in to the radio at all. And if most of the ones we can afford say "doesn't protect from a direct hit"..... what do most of you do when lightning comes into the area???

Asking for a friend.....

Reactions: S&W357

what do most of you do when lightning comes into the area???.
I disconnect all coax in outside located box and all cables from radio and amplifier. Only way to keep our precious equipment away from damage.
O course there are methods to keep it all connected and stay safe from direct hit, but you can't afford that :)
Mike

If bad weather is around I usually disconnect the coaxial feedline entirely and push it through my window passthrough (almost outside but still reachable) so I don't have any direct hit concerns, that and my 8 foot ground rod is attached to the house ground connection at my utility box.

https://palomar-engineers.com/rfiemi-solutions/Line-Isolators-c21444192

A line isolator may help with reducing lightning static RFI but I don't believe it will do the same as a lightning arrester?

Last edited:
I like to make my coax the main link from the antenna to my ground system.
Is this the absolute best way to do it? IDK, but i've also forgotten so much about grounding after reading on it for years, that i tend to trust the opinions i held back when i was studying this more intently LOL.

so, i use a metal mast mounted to the eve of the house, and it doesn't run to the ground.
as in, the bottom of the mast is only a couple of feet below the mounting brackets.

then i run the coax down to a lightning arrestor (not the 10 dollar things) that is mounted to a ground rod right outside the shack.
That ground rod is tied in with the AC house ground, and has a 6 foot length of copper braid running to the station ground. The total length of braid from any piece of equipment to the shack ground rod is less than 8 feet.

The way i figure it, a direct lightning strike is going to blow my antenna apart and cause damage to household electronics no matter what i do (yes, i know what pro radio stations do), and that the real protection i am providing is for nearby strikes.

We get very few lightning storms where i live, and i will usually disconnect the antenna from the lightning arrestor and hang the coax up high so it doesnt lay on the ground if i am home during the storm.
if i am not home, i really don't worry about it too much.
maybe i should, IDK.
LC

I just unhook the radio, and push almost out outside, likely not the best idea, one idea I have heard people once did was to drop the end of your coax feed into a large empty glass jar. I presume this makes it super insulated offering very little ground potential, I think this will be my new method. I have zero faith in those coax ground devices, I have huge doubts they would offer much protection from a surge, let alone a hit. I think unhook and save the radio is the best bet, and limit the ground potential of the feed is a best bet.

Up here in Western NY we usually get an advanced warning of a storm approaching. I generally switch the coax to ground and disconnect the equipment from the AC line, but I left everything alone while I was living next to the Gulf in Florida. One minute you have clear skies, the next you’re blasted with a nearby strike (no time differential between sound and flash). It’s startling to say the least, particularly when you’re on the radio when it happens. That’s what living in a first strike zone feels like. There’s no way I’m going to play Russian roulette with the coax during that time. I figure leaving the room ASAP to a safer place was my best option. I had my share of radio, appliance damage, and AC outlets toasted while living there. My neighbors suffered similar damage. It’s a great location for chasing DX if you don’t mind living around time bombs.

never put your coax in a glass container.
if lightning did actually strike your antenna, there would be shards of glass embedded in everything that was in the room with it.
LC
Good point I guess we will go with the modern version, a plastic container, I think the idea is sound, with no ground potential very unlikely of a strike, I do have a grounded tower, as the high point, with arrestor, and ground rods on the wifi, so it should take the hit, it also grounds my metal roof, My 2 cb antenna loops are number 14 wire so , it would likely vaporize in short order.

Reactions: 357magnum
well they do actually, they are full of mineralized water, and wet with rain, same reason they effect your signal path; a lot. And that water goes deep into the ground. My loops are on dry wood masts, so that might be a bonus. The path is , the path with potential to ground. The path of least resistance.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?