• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who does quality radio alignment?

I was using Matt at the radio garage but he's blown up in popularity and now it's hard to get in line. I've got a couple of radios that will needs to be sent off this winter so the search is on for a quality tech.
There is a tech right here on the forum

Sad but I guess "on the whole" there is not enough use to support a large number of "brick and mortar" CB shops anymore. Back in 1979 when we moved into Deer Park there were 3 CB shops IN Deer Park, probably 5 or 6 in Pasadena and who knows HOW MANY in Houston-proper.

Now, I know where one place is over off of I-10 in Baytown but it is a combination CB radio and "sign business" shop. Another shop that had been in operation since WAY WAY back in the 70s... had wilted down to a side room in a local diner that sold antennas and microphones but I think that finally closed. Another one that had been here for years... finally had to close his doors about a year ago. He didn't have the business to support his store.

Among the crowd that loves CB... there is a lot of drive to have a shop around.But the plain truth... I guess there aren't enough in the user community to give them ENOUGH business/cash flow to keep going.

That is why I wanted to start collecting test gear and learning to do it myself. I confess... mostly for my own radios. But... I suppose if somebody I knew needed a radio fixed... I wouldn't run them off. Just ... doing it out of my home... makes it a little more do-able.

Up here in Centre County near Milesburg ( I live about 5-6 miles away) when I was in highschool around 9th grade or so, we had a local CB shop that went by the name Windjammer,and the tech was old school in the sense that he learned his trade( CB radio/electronics) through the army and he was very good and well trusted as he was the only person I would buy radios from and get them fixed,etc.... Well as I remember correctly he finally got out because as he said it,he felt at the time that smt would be the death of CB because not many people are skilled to work on those type of radios( his word's) + his smoking caught up to him health wise and he closed up shop around 2005,,he passed away I believe in 2010 due to lung cancer at 55 and now the nearest shops are either Bob's CB shop or DTB CB shop in Pennsylvania...........it's almost like shops are hard to find anymore,or at least reputable one's,jmo........

Steve

Same story everywhere it seems. In Amarillo we had 4 at one time, CB Depot (closed in about 2004) One stop CB shop (closed about 2008) and at one time Fine Tune (yeah that guy) which left around 2010, and last one standing was Sherry at Working Man CB shop but she passed away last year from the Rona. Nearest one now is Dr Bob at South Plains Electronics in Lubbock Tx so it's not feasible to make a 2.5 hr drive. He's an old navy communications true all around tech that could repair car stereos, tv's, or anything. Has a picture on the wall of him standing next to a trailer mounted amplifier which is really cool. Last I talked to him he had started repairing washers, dryers and other appliances because businesses was so slow in cb. Just as @guitar_199 says, just not enough to keep those fellas afloat.

Getting ready to send out the x-9 for a good alignment. Any of you fellas ever deal with the dx radio shop? He has some good reviews and experience from what's I can see.

Sent out some emails to a few other shops and one quoted me $165 for an alignment, not including the ride...... alignment prices have inflation too?

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Getting ready to send out the x-9 for a good alignment. Any of you fellas ever deal with the dx radio shop? He has some good reviews and experience from what's I can see.

Sent out some emails to a few other shops and one quoted me $165 for an alignment, not including the ride...... alignment prices have inflation too?
Stu at the DX Radio Shop aligned my Galaxy DX 94 HP. Done a fantastic job.

Reactions: Eldorado828

I would say send it in but I have at least a 4 month's backlog and patience would be a very good quality to have. I do try my best to look at all that is here and of course, some units are waiting for parts and others are restorations that take as much as a week or more just the nature of the business.

Where is that shop located? I closed my repair business in 2018. I have been pressured to re-open, but I don't really want to do it anymore. But one never knows.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I would say send it in but I have at least a 4 month's backlog and patience would be a very good quality to have. I do try my best to look at all that is here and of course, some units are waiting for parts and others are restorations that take as much as a week or more just the nature of the business.
Yes sir I've heard many great things about your work and service. I was tempted to ask but have read in your past posts of the backlog which makes sense beingyourwork is top shelf. Intense backlog seems to be the common theme these days.

Eldorado828,
What board does the X9 have in it? Is there a service manual or schematics available for this radio?

I would never be brash enough to state "I'm good", that is for others to decide but can only state I am fair and honest. Since I have a 50-70 hour a week regular job, I don't do it for the money(translation quite reasonable) but it can also take time as my "real job" takes priority.

EDIT:
Found the board number. It is EPT950M10B

David

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.