• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who else Hand Loads for their Shootin Iron?

Why would you hand load?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have never had a primer that was hard to seat. I had some military brass that had Berdian primers that had two flash holes off to the side with no hole in the center.
The only reason I can figure they did that was to prevent them from being reloaded.
I made a drill bit extension and ran a .075 dia bit right through the center of the brass.
Used the primer unseating tool and knocked it out. Then I find out that the brass was swaged around the primer cup. I borrowed a sizer for the primer and finished off the 20 I had drilled. took the rest of the 500 and turned them in for recycling.
I did not reload the milbrass after that.

I had some military brass that had Berdian primers that had two flash holes off to the side with no hole in the center.
The only reason I can figure they did that was to prevent them from being reloaded.
That is the same story that I've heard too and it does sound logical. I've heard it was to keep the enemy from reusing it on our solders.

I remember reading about Berdans while taking a gunsmith course a couple years ago...

Still had to go back and refresh my memory.

Apparently, it was to allow for shipment of loaded cartridges WITHOUT primers installed. A US invention, now more common in foreign ammo.

I personally wouldn’t waste my time, and have never tried reloading...but have read a bit as the knowledge of how to make ‘em work again can be useful.

I don’t run in to very many...but it sure stops the decapping press when I do bump into one unexpectedly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.