• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who else Hand Loads for their Shootin Iron?

Why would you hand load?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tallman

KW4YJ Honorary Member Silent Key
May 1, 2013
Louisville, KY
Unless you are going for extreme accuracy, is it worth it just to bring the cost down? If you shoot over 20 rounds a week it might be. The reason I hand load is for the accuracy, even though I have never shot a deer over 50 yards away. BUT if I need to reach way out to grab one I know I can with the certainty of a head shot.
I won't go into all of the extreme details of "Match Grade" hand loading, some are secrets I have learned from experience and testing.

I started my reloading for shogun back in 1964.
Then rifle and pistol loading started in 1975 and have been doing it for over 45 yrs now.

I reloaded mostly for accuracy, but, back in the 90's when I had my FFL, I stocked up thousands of bullets (13,000) and primers and this really cut down on the price to reload.

But precision reloading is still my game.

340gr truncated cone hollow point hard ball , .453" max dia.
6.5 x 55 Swede trimmed to .900" reamed to .452" , .4735" @ the face , .4760" @ the base.
5.0gr + (don't get stupid, it will hurt) Green Dot YMMV
Linkless semi throated SA barrel.
Custom recoil spring.
beaver tail strongly recommended.

not available in stores...

Hand load for both lower costs and accuracy so I didn’t vote. Not in to long range precision shooting. Reloading/Shooting for hunting, defense, and fun.

Various caliber rifles & handguns I load on a single stage press...RCBS Rockchucker.

Haven’t loaded shot shells lately...Mec 600 Jr when I do.

Started loading in 1964 with Lee hand dies and a plastic mallet for 38 spl, 44 mag, & 243 Winchester. Tired of that soon and bought a Lyman C-press.

I plan on loading some .30-40 Krag ammo today. (y)

1). How do you keep the pince-nez on that long? Do you think that’s why TR was always grinning (grimacing) to try and keep them from slipping off?

2). Don’t those ancient wool uniforms get kinda scratchy after awhile?

3). You get my Man-ly Man vote for doing it while lit by a kerosene lamp from across the basement.

I just started reloading a little over a year ago . Ask Ralph ( S&W 357 ) without him I don't think I could have got through it , no matter how much I read or vid's I watched !:LOL: Must say I enjoy it ! I use a Rock Chucker like Ralph also have a Lee . I must say loading these 380acp's was a chore getting them right ( for me just starting ) those thin small cases kicked my Butt until I got it set right ! :whistle::ROFLMAO:

I load for both reasons, but mostly because I enjoy it. Have 4 presses setup, a single stage, a turret, and two additional single stages for dedicated decapping and bullet sizing. I’m not too proud to use mostly Lee equipment, and I rather like the Turret and Classic Cast presses.

I use whatever I have on hand which is a lot. Lee, lyman, RCBS, and I have a press that can swage copper over cast bullets, or machined Tungsten-Carbide.(Just kidding)

I learned on my Dad’s RCBS Jr...there’s really no disputing the value in a brand like that, IMO.

But...I also like some of the Lee only stuff. The bullet sizing dies work well for me, and are very affordable compared to alternatives. I like the factory crimp dies, also. The better presses offered are a good value as well, IMO. No one else really makes anything like a Lee turret, at least last I looked. And then there’s some junk, too. The on-the-press priming systems I can only laugh at.

I’m more curious about your swaging setup! Corbin?

This is one idem that I have been using for the last 20 yrs or so - they have been well worth the money. My first one cost me $18 now they are around $60. These mic's check the head space on the casing.
I have 7 of them for different calibers.

The picture I took from a web site, made it easier then having to get camera out.

Screenshot_2020-01-01 RCBS Precision Mic 22-250 Remington.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.