• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 on 10 meters.

roadrage

I got a notification from Amazon requesting an answer to a question someone had. "Can a Wilson 1000 be used on 10 meters?" I answered the question and pointed out that a license is required to operate on 10 meters. I suggested he didn't have his license, due to the nature of his question. I pointed out that a licensed amateur would have known that already. He responded by calling me arrogant and stupid. I find that a little funny. I am logical. I was simply pointing out the reason for my thinking he didn't have his HAM ticket. I wasn't trying to be rude. I thought I was being helpful by saving him a possible fine. I am the least arrogant person I know. I even pick up for people that are talked down to by others that are being arrogant. Very curious.

I pointed out that a licensed amateur would have known that already.

Because of the test structure we have now it is very possible to pass the exam and not "study" the basic principles of RF.
There is even more of a need now than before to help mentor new members into the hobby because of that.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
I have talked to many hams that surprisingly had very little knowledge of radio and how it works. Most of them were techs or tech+ but I have run into a few generals and advance calls as well. It's very easy to memorize the test and pass wthout really knowing what the questions mean. Sad!

I am sure the OP had good intentions with his response but he bruised an ego when pointing out the lack of basic radio understanding.

Reactions: 1 person
My Wilson 1000 works great on 10 meters.
My wife just passed her tech test. She doesn't know squat about radios, antennas, RF, etc. But she was able to pass the test.
"You must not have a license because you asked a question" is arrogant.

My Wilson 1000 works great on 10 meters.
My wife just passed her tech test. She doesn't know squat about radios, antennas, RF, etc. But she was able to pass the test.
"You must not have a license because you asked a question" is arrogant.
No offence to your wife but that proves my point. Hopefully she will learn otherwise why not use CB.

Don't even get me started on how little a ticket means today as opposed to a couple decades ago. Back then you actually had to learn something to get a ticket. Today all you have to do is memorize a few answers to a published question database and you get it. No knowledge required, just a few lucky guesses on a multiple choice test. There are extra class hams that have no idea how to make a simple dipole yet are allowed to run 1500 watts into it once they figure out how long to make it so their "SWR's" are good.

Oh.....I said don't get me started didn't I? Too late.:cry:

Don't even get me started on how little a ticket means today as opposed to a couple decades ago. Back then you actually had to learn something to get a ticket. Today all you have to do is memorize a few answers to a published question database and you get it. No knowledge required, just a few lucky guesses on a multiple choice test. There are extra class hams that have no idea how to make a simple dipole yet are allowed to run 1500 watts into it once they figure out how long to make it so their "SWR's" are good.

Oh.....I said don't get me started didn't I? Too late.:cry:

Capt KW, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :D

From my experience I found writing the advanced test pretty easy.

Oh, yeah what's a dipole???

His response really pissed me off. I guess I could have worded it differently. I didn't really think about people that don't have a clue getting their ticket. But I still don't think I was that offensive, to deserve the response I got. And he isn't an amateur, BTW. He began bashing "HAMs" and said "no one gets fines anymore......I don't care" He is just going to hook up and transmit anyway. All you amateur operators get to deal with him on the air. Lucky you. You have a stellar ball of intelligence to contend with.

Capt KW, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :D

From my experience I found writing the advanced test pretty easy.

Oh, yeah what's a dipole???

I bought you a little something. It's in the mail.

suicidegun.jpeg

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.