• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 on 10 meters.

W9cll and to the rest of the great guys that have posted god bless and 73's to you and yours.

I don't know if this was directed at me. If it is, than I must explain. I was asked a question and answered it. I pointed out that a license is required. I let him know because I didn't think he had his license. I was right, by the way.

He responded by calling me stupid, first of all. Then he went on to say that he didn't have his license and didn't care he didn't have it. He was just going to transmit anyway. Then proceeded with a paragraph of obscenely harsh ridicule of HAMs and how arrogant "WE" are. My point of the thread was how rude and ridiculous he was. There is no "WE" because I am not a licensed amateur. I just happen to have respect for proper educate. I don't get into the HAM vs. CB debate. I have class and the debate is classless. If you don't have a license to operate on frequencies that require one, than you shouldn't operate there. That is all. I didn't think I deserved the response I got for answering the question, as well as I could. And then trying to look out for him AND amateur operators, by advising him about the required license.

Well kind of yes. At first you immediately assumed that this guy wasn't a ham, because of his question. To him you probably did sound like an old Ham operator. I was thinking to myself, jeez I'm so tired of people slamming new operators. Not that you actually did, but my mind was going in that direction.

I see where you was going with this, and you were right and didn't deserve the flak he gave you, and I do apologize myself on something I thought I was hearing. As the thread continues however, there were subtle hints from Experienced operators , basically saying what I've heard a lot of lately, about how new Technician's don't know what their doing, how easy the exam's are, don't know antenna theory, bla, bla, bla.

To make a long story endless, I just let to many remarks that I have heard build up inside me and then bang. I went off. Not really how I usually operate. No hard feelings I hope.

I'm reading this thread, and I have to say quite honestly that I almost regret getting my Ham License.

Yes a few old Hams were long winded about their chosen Hobby. They were proud of it, and rightfully so. These guys built there own radios.

From what I see and hear, and have to be subjected to by Old Ham operators that are still pissed off because I don't know code, and didn't have to learn it, is they really don't want us newbies on their sacred bands.

Jeez! what's up with that. Ya know what? There were a lot of things that people had to go through 60 years ago, that are made easier to accomplish now. You don't see or hear the animosity about that to much.

It's not 1930 anymore. We don't for the most part fix our own radio's. We send them out for repair. Yes I know some of you do, but 90% or more of us don't.

I know CW is used for many things. We learned that in class. I respect that. Do I need to know how to do it ? NO!

I (We) new Operators just want to be able to get on the air and talk without being interrogated on every step of the way. We went to the class, we listened, and learned, and we are doing, or did all the requirements that the U.S. Government has required. Help us out gently. Don't talk down to us, or make us feel like we are outsiders. Can you at least do that?

My 2 cents here....

If the old time coders want to be mad at someone, let it be the FCC, as it was their decision to drop the code requirements. Just as much as hams should have so much contempt towards CBers for using a band that was taken from the hams in 1958....again be mad at the FCC.

And if the old timers want to be mad because I am not spun up on what tubes that 1960's relic of a radio needs, again don't be mad at me...like you said times have changed. Technology progresses.

However from me to you, try not to let a few cranky farts get the better of you. Not all hams are this way. Although I'd laugh my ass off at a ham that wanted to look down on me for being a no coder yet doesn't know how to solder...or tune an antenna. Two simple things I learned as a CB op.

Besides hams should IMO embrace the fact that new blood is coming on board as the old farts are dying off. They seem overly concerned about band pollution. Yes we do have a few lids out there making a ruckus amongst the bands...where's the FCC again?

Use the bands or lose them. Those not in the know seem to think the ham bands should be re-utilized for business.

But yes I agree to what you posted.

No hard feelings at all. That is why I clarified instead of just firing shots back :D. I actually feel the same way. I have rebuked many people who talk down to the inexperienced. That is why it caught me by surprise. I am always picking up for the ones getting dumped on and try real hard to be respectful and lend whatever knowledge I can. I was really trying to be helpful. He sounded like he didn't know much about radios, so I thought I'd save him from a possible fine. People are quick to turn you in when you don't have a license. I figured he didn't know that. Turns out he just didn't care.

No hard feelings at all. That is why I clarified instead of just firing shots back :D. I actually feel the same way. I have rebuked many people who talk down to the inexperienced. That is why it caught me by surprise. I am always picking up for the ones getting dumped on and try real hard to be respectful and lend whatever knowledge I can. I was really trying to be helpful. He sounded like he didn't know much about radios, so I thought I'd save him from a possible fine. People are quick to turn you in when you don't have a license. I figured he didn't know that. Turns out he just didn't care.

I'm glad about that.
That's to bad on his part. You tried.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio