1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Wilson 5k Water in Coil

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Shadetree Mechanic, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Well-Known Member

When Dinosaurs roamed the Earth they were made from Mobay plastic and I have one that is from 20 years ago that is just like new the base is what needs repair.

I normally drill both ends of a crack.

The Permetex will not hold up long term it is not made for UV exposure I do not believe. Epoxy it sane it than paint over it.

Be careful with dielectric grease it can get in the way of rf ground and the signal propagation.

I used to wax mine a few times a year. I figured the oils and distillates in the wax would keep the plastic in good shape and wax and UV protection helped it as well.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. cdx304

cdx304 Guest

The wilson antennas used to be a good antenna but not anymore very cheaply made .

3. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Unfortunately most things are that way now days. I got a Sirio 5000 for one of my other vehicles and I like it much better than the Wilson.

4. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I have the sirio 5k for over 10 years and it is still working.

5. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

My brand-new 2013 Wilson 2000s collected some water. Drilled some small holes in bottom. Bye Bye problem.

6. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

Stryker SRA10mm.

But good idea to repair it and hopefully fix it for good.