• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Working Skip Is Now Legal On 11 Meters

Unit 194

Feb 25, 2006
New Jersey
According to the FCC attempted communications with any CBRS station located more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away has been eliminated.

67. Power limits and communication distance limitations. When solar conditions permit, it is possible for CBRS stations to communicate over a distance of several hundred miles by sky wave propagation.162 In the NPRM, the Commission suggested that this ability to communicate over long distances has tempted some CBRS users to use directional antennas and illegal linear amplifiers to see how far they can communicate, and it sought comment on whether any technical rules should be amended (such as lower power limits) to prevent such behavior.163 In the alternative, it asked whether there is any harm in allowing CBRS users to communicate in sky wave mode and, if not, whether the current prohibition on communications or attempted communications with any CBRS station located more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away should be eliminated.164 Commenting parties overwhelming oppose lowering the power limit for the CBRS and do not believe sky wave propagation by CBRS operators is a problem.

68. The record does not contain any convincing evidence that the current level of use of sky wave propagation by CBRS operators creates any increase in risk of harmful interference, or presents any other cause for concern. Accordingly, we will retain the current power limit and eliminate the restriction on long-range communications. We will not, as suggested by some commenters, increase the power limit, given the increased potential for interference to other services that would result.166

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344617A1.pdf

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

According to the FCC attempted communications with any CBRS station located more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away has been eliminated.

67. Power limits and communication distance limitations. When solar conditions permit, it is possible for CBRS stations to communicate over a distance of several hundred miles by sky wave propagation.162 In the NPRM, the Commission suggested that this ability to communicate over long distances has tempted some CBRS users to use directional antennas and illegal linear amplifiers to see how far they can communicate, and it sought comment on whether any technical rules should be amended (such as lower power limits) to prevent such behavior.163 In the alternative, it asked whether there is any harm in allowing CBRS users to communicate in sky wave mode and, if not, whether the current prohibition on communications or attempted communications with any CBRS station located more than 250 kilometers (155.3 miles) away should be eliminated.164 Commenting parties overwhelming oppose lowering the power limit for the CBRS and do not believe sky wave propagation by CBRS operators is a problem.

68. The record does not contain any convincing evidence that the current level of use of sky wave propagation by CBRS operators creates any increase in risk of harmful interference, or presents any other cause for concern. Accordingly, we will retain the current power limit and eliminate the restriction on long-range communications. We will not, as suggested by some commenters, increase the power limit, given the increased potential for interference to other services that would result.166

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-344617A1.pdf

Yea I was reading the new rules and noticed they are going to also eliminate licensing of for handheld FRS and GMRS and also allow FRS power to go from .5 to 2.0 watts now you will see the manufactures advertise 60-mile range instead of the 15-mile range after all the is times 4 so the ranger should be as well LOLLOL!.

Reactions: sunbulls
The elimination of the 250km limit has been discussed on a few WWDX threads since the change was made in May. However, the ban on communicating with stations in foreign countries with the exception of Canada appears to remain intact...at least on paper. Mother nature seems to have a different view on the subject.

Reactions: Johnno
Yea I was reading the new rules and noticed they are going to also eliminate licensing of for handheld FRS and GMRS and also allow FRS power to go from .5 to 2.0 watts now you will see the manufactures advertise 60-mile range instead of the 15-mile range after all the is times 4 so the ranger should be as well LOLLOL!.
Having 2 watts now for FRS units was appropriate since the public often uses them in emergencies. Maybe someday they will also eliminate the fixed antenna rule on them. That would save me a few Dremel bits, BNC’s and JB Weld to use on other projects. :rolleyes:

Well now RM Italy offering UHF Linears. 2 watt FRS should provide enough drive to get you out nicely with 100w FM UHF.

Just bite the bullet and go GMRS. Better yet go MURS, no fixed antenna and more power.
I also have GMRS and MURS radios, but turning a blister pack FRS fixed antenna piece of junk into something more useful is a pleasurable pastime. At one time during my younger years (15yrs old) I attached full quarter wave whip antennas on cheap 100mw CB walkies made for kids. It was a lot of fun that rewarded me with far greater range.

I also have GMRS and MURS radios, but turning a blister pack FRS fixed antenna piece of junk into something more useful is a pleasurable pastime. At one time during my younger years (15yrs old) I attached full quarter wave whip antennas on cheap 100mw CB walkies made for kids. It was a lot of fun that rewarded me with far greater range.
I had some of those walkie talkies too. I found those cans inside with adjustable ferrites in them they didn't seem to do anything. I would talk to the truckers and one day a guy asked me to stop playing with my dad's CB. I told him I was on a walkie talkie and asked him what channel it was. He said ALL OF THEM! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.