• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Workman noise filter

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Was wondering if anybody ever tried this filter before and did it work very well or not ?

Was wondering if anybody ever tried this filter before and did it work very well or not ?

How do you know the alternator is making the noise?

Next, it is very hard to control noise being generator by using a long wire with a suppressor that far from the Alternator if there were any chance of doing that it would most likely need to be done at the alternator.

I assume the noise you are experiencing is a whine that increases with the speed of the engine?

Reactions: whiteastro
How do you know the alternator is making the noise?

Next, it is very hard to control noise being generator by using a long wire with a suppressor that far from the Alternator if there were any chance of doing that it would most likely need to be done at the alternator.

I assume the noise you are experiencing is a whine that increases with the speed of the engine?
It gets worst when you turn the fan on high speed and it is a old 95 Astro van so no telling how many Old problems are in the system.

Last edited:
It gets worst when you turn the fan on high speed and it is a old 95 Astro van so no telling how many Old problems are in the system.
So is the noise the fan or is the noise there when the fan is turned off and then when you turn the fan on high the noise increases? If you have any ground looping in the antenna system or the DC power distribution those will all add to the issue. Now if the alternator is the issue and any of the diodes in the alternator are leaky or poor alternator case grounding being it is a vehicle that is over 25 years old then all these little issues can be part of the problem.

VERY simple to tell if this filter will make a difference to your mobile setup.

First, unplug the antenna coax. This is strictly a power-source filter, and leaving the antenna connected will obscure what difference this filter makes.

Now, turn on the radio, turn off ALL the noise limiter/blanker features and turn up the volume until you hear noise.

Start the motor.

If all you hear is a gentle "hiss", this filter won't make a difference.

If you do hear impulse noises, turn off the radio, insert this filter into the power line to the radio start the motor and compare before to after.

Hint: if you hear significant "whine" from the alternator that changes pitch with the engine speed, I'm pretty sure this filter is also meant to suppress that kind of engine noise.

Just the same if you hear significant alternator "whine", have the alternator checked with a proper automotive load tester. Loud "whine" tends to accompany failing diodes in the alternator. If that's the case, you'll get left high and dry with a battery too weak to start the motor some time down the road.

Reactions: whiteastro
VERY simple to tell if this filter will make a difference to your mobile setup.

First, unplug the antenna coax. This is strictly a power-source filter, and leaving the antenna connected will obscure what difference this filter makes.

Now, turn on the radio, turn off ALL the noise limiter/blanker features and turn up the volume until you hear noise.

Start the motor.

If all you hear is a gentle "hiss", this filter won't make a difference.

If you do hear impulse noises, turn off the radio, insert this filter into the power line to the radio start the motor and compare before to after.

Hint: if you hear significant "whine" from the alternator that changes pitch with the engine speed, I'm pretty sure this filter is also meant to suppress that kind of engine noise.

Just the same if you hear significant alternator "whine", have the alternator checked with a proper automotive load tester. Loud "whine" tends to accompany failing diodes in the alternator. If that's the case, you'll get left high and dry with a battery too weak to start the motor some time down the road.

Thanks for the test practices which I will try but I did have the alternator changed years ago. Even though the van is a 95 it only has about 90,000 miles on it and the van only had 56,840 miles on it when I bought it. But even low mileage can't reverse time. It's only used when I have to haul or tow something, and is a pleasure to drive and travel in. Thanks again, I'll get testing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.