• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

World's largest amateur radio antenna collapses.

Good riddance, it was a real eyesore and an accident waiting to happen.

wtf.gif
:D

Yes, it was their money, and it goes to show that technology can fail in those weather extremes in the artic circle. The wind loading on that mammoth must have been huge.

On a serious note, its going to take a while before another one emerges. Perhaps they can salvage enough of it. Would like to calculate the torgue on that antenna if what they said happened.

No details yet but it has been reported and confirmed on the ARRL contest letter that the MASSIVE 80/160m rotatable yagi at OH8X aka Radio Arcala has collapsed in a storm. A quote says "The Radio Arcala team is preparing a report that will be available in a few days."

This is it before the collapse.

160M_ylahaalta_compressed.jpg

Dog gone it! I told them they couldn't take any pictures of my antenna unless I gave them permission.

Seriously though that's to bad. That thing is massive.

i just wonder,did they use a crane to install the stability cables on the top sections..theres not enough money in the world that could get me on that upper section near the beams,even w/out the wind blowing:eek:

call me what you will,just dont call me late for dinner:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.