• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

World's largest amateur radio antenna collapses.

No details yet but it has been reported and confirmed on the ARRL contest letter that the MASSIVE 80/160m rotatable yagi at OH8X aka Radio Arcala has collapsed in a storm. A quote says "The Radio Arcala team is preparing a report that will be available in a few days."

This is it before the collapse.

160M_ylahaalta_compressed.jpg

This thing rotates?......or did?

The entire tower rotated. It was driven by an 11 Kw electric motor at the base. The guy wires are connected to slip bearings allowing the whole thing to rotate even though it is guyed.

Sounds like somebody on the string has a bad case of antenna envy. :) Glad I have them in my logbook, but who doesn't.

SUM BEACH...that is one "MASSIVE" stack of metal...that took some crazy enginering on there behalf ....wonder if they would sell me some sections:drool:

There might be some sections that aren't bent, folded, or mutilated. I had a 225 foot tower at work come down after a tractor snagged a guy wire and there were only three sections (30 feet) of it that were not damaged and it came down much easier than the above one did.

I think i would have a stroke if i was near 225 feet of tower folding down over me and after i got done having my fred sandford moment i would be kicking that tractor driver A$$ mighty hard:bdh:

I think i would have a stroke if i was near 225 feet of tower folding down over me and after i got done having my fred sandford moment i would be kicking that tractor driver A$$ mighty hard:bdh:

I wasn't there at the time but was called down to find out why were off the air. :censored: Nothing quite like seeing from a couple miles away two towers standing where there should be three. :eek: Didn't have to kick the farmers ass hard at all. The insurance company did all the kicking for us. Total bill was six figures.

I wasn't there at the time but was called down to find out why were off the air. :censored: Nothing quite like seeing from a couple miles away two towers standing where there should be three. :eek: Didn't have to kick the farmers ass hard at all. The insurance company did all the kicking for us. Total bill was six figures.

OUCH!!!!!:oops:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.