• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Would it be possible to make a AM rotortiller antenna

If you want a complicated antenna that produces half the gain of a dipole, you can make a Rototiler for 11 meters. Just remember is has -3dbd.

Doubling the power wont increase the received signal like an antennas gain does.
It just gives you a bigger mouth than ears.

Didn't know that. Well then a receive preamp would fit the bill.
On second thought,it will listen just fine. I have two deep fringe tv antennas vertically stacked with a 2-1 combiner going to a mast mounted signal amplifier going to a 1-4 distribution amp to my tv,etc... It works wonders. Shouldn't that be the case for radio?

Scale those antennas up to 11 meter size and they would probably produce the same sort of increased listening/talking 'power'. They would be a couple of -very- big antennas though...
- 'Doc

Well, I was thinking inline with the CP beam antenna plans I have. Just two three element beam antennas. One vertical one horizontal with an advertised gain of 7 dbi. Good receive but would have to double output power or let the antenna's gain take care of that and have a almost nothing gain unless more elements can be added.

Scale those antennas up to 11 meter size and they would probably produce the same sort of increased listening/talking 'power'. They would be a couple of -very- big antennas though...
- 'Doc

Yup....that Rototiller antenna (IMHO a stupid name) would look more like a hay rake than a rototiller.

- 'Doc

Scaled to any frequency, this design still has negative 3 db and the dipole has twice the effective radiated power. These antennas are among the very worst in terms of gain and signal. They are desirable because they have been designed to produce very little downward radiation in a circular design. Something that is important on VHF for minimizing RF exposure. Because they have a negative gain you rarely see a single one installed. They are almost always phased and stacked with multiple bays to provide the needed gain.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.