• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

would you buy this meter

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
would you spend $775.00 plus on this meter=LP-500 / LP-700 Digital Station Monitor just for the meter
then another $250 to $275 for(does not include any couplers

Attachments

• lp700-station-monitor-swr-power-meter.jpg
    lp700-station-monitor-swr-power-meter.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 13

Even then, paying less than $200 each they won't be calibrated, and probably pretty beat up. Add a handful of slugs and a pep kit and you are still over budget, and haven't even addef a cheap scope or spectrum analyzer yet.
You make a good point! Think I will keep my Radio Shack SWR/watt meter!!

Larry's top-of-the-line meter is a pro-grade tool. I honestly haven't researched the features of this model in detail. His older models were "vector wattmeters". Meaning that they display reactance and resistance of your antenna, both like an antenna analyzer. That feature adds to the price. And if you don't need that feature, it's wasted money.

But Larry and his meters are the real McCoy. At least as accurate as a Bird.

And if a Ford will get you to work as well as a BMW, no need to spend the additional money.

Have you ever priced 3 birds, a pep kit and enough slugs to use them? This is cheap compared to birds, plus all of the other functions you don't get with a bird.
I have 2 meters, 1 aftermarket PEP kit, 5 slugs (5A, 50H, 100H, 250H and 500H), 2 leather cases and one instruction manual. I think I have $800 wrapped up in them? I'm not sure as it's been a few years since I picked them up, and I didn't get everything all at once.

I have 2 meters, 1 aftermarket PEP kit, 5 slugs (5A, 50H, 100H, 250H and 500H), 2 leather cases and one instruction manual. I think I have $800 wrapped up in them? I'm not sure as it's been a few years since I picked them up, and I didn't get everything all at once.
They definitely add up quicker than one realizes. You'd probably be better off to invest in a third meter and bigger slugs, but a guy that had no birds would be money ahead with an lp.

Reactions: 999
Why? Outside CB land the Bird meters have no magical qualities and in fact there are more accurate meters out there. Bird is versatile and rugged but no more accurate than a lot of meters out there.
yes like driving an Acura but still a honda driving a Lexus but still a Toyota just my 300 watts cent LOL

Reactions: undertaker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated