• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Review

Can you give a how to with the software, I can't seem to figure it out.
thanks

Also, do you have the serial cable or USB cable to connect the UVD1P to a computer? What operating system, win7, vista, XP, MAC?

I can connect with my XP laptop, but my Win 7 laptop doesn't like the serial-usb driver for some reason

I did also have a problem with no connection because I didn't have the thing fully pushed into the jack on the radio, took a good push to get it all the way in

The programming software seems to be quite a headache. Everytime it tells me that 147.030 is out of range. Then will not write to radio. Can you help with this? I'm running Win XP & the USB cable.

What is the frequency step set to? It may be the problem if it isn't set to 5 or 10 khz. Have you used the unlock software that Moleculo put on this forum thread? It may be that you had a typo while entering the TX range for VHF

Miscellaneous Features

Other than the basic radio functions that I've already covered, this radio also features a Stop Watch timer and an "SOS" transmit. I was expecting the "SOS" function to transmit SOS in morse code, but instead it does some strange "whoop-whoop" sound. I have no idea why you would want to transmit this, or if anyone would even know what the heck it was for if they heard it. Regardless, I shot a video that shows what it is, how to activate it, and what it sounds like that can be accessed here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/65711-wouxun-kg-uvd1p-2m-440-sos-function-video.html.

The programming software has a nice function that lets you lock the radio with password so that the radio settings cannot be changed. For example, you could program several memories, put the radio into memory mode, lock the radio, and place a password on it so you could hand it over to another user to limit their use to just what you want them to be able to do. I can think of a few great EMCOMM and MARS uses for functionality like this.

Review Summary

Overall, this radio is one heck of a bargain for a basic 2m/440 HT. It performs all of the basic functions you need in a radio for a basement level price. It's rugged enough for all but the extreme users. It's transmit and receive capabilities seem to perform every bit as good as any other HT I've owned. I don't have any scientific proof, but my experience seems to indicate that the antenna on this radio is better than those that come with many of the Yaesu HT's, notably the VX-8.

The manual on this radio is horrible and is some of the worst English translated material I've seen in a while. However, it is sufficient enough at educating you on using the radio. Most of the menu functions on this radio are self explanatory, but there are the exceptions. I still get a kick out of the female voice prompts and can entertain myself by switching it to the Chinese language :). Programming the radio isn't difficult; you can actually remember how to do it after a few times. That said, you can save yourself a lot of time by just buying the programming cable and software for only a few extra bucks. Some features that could be improved are the scanning speed and adding or changing some of the button features to let you quickly access the repeater tone and offset. Auto offset capability is something that really should be added. You get 128 memories which is acceptable to me for a basic radio.

One of the best features is that you can change the TX/RX range via software. For the active MARS user, this might be the perfect little HT. Where else can you get something for so cheap that can be purposed for both Amateur and MARS use? I may even get the 2m/220 version because the price is so cheap. While there are definite improvements that could be made, overall I'm glad to see a product like this. It's well made and can only help drive the cost of other similar radios from the big three (Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood) down.

The programming software seems to be quite a headache. Everytime it tells me that 147.030 is out of range. Then will not write to radio. Can you help with this? I'm running Win XP & the USB cable.

My cable is the USB software, and I'm using Vista. I have a Windows 7 machine that I haven't tried it with yet, but I don't see why it should be a problem. I tried programming 147.030 and it worked fine for me, regardless of the step setting I had programmed. I tried it with several different step settings without problem. When you do "Help, About" on your software, what version does it report? Mine shows version 1.12

What is the frequency step set to? It may be the problem if it isn't set to 5 or 10 khz. Have you used the unlock software that Moleculo put on this forum thread? It may be that you had a typo while entering the TX range for VHF

I have step set for 5.00k. And mine is already unlocked out of the box. The only thing that I've done was trying to program ham band. I'm only trying to program about 60 2m repeaters. I'll add 70cm later. And I can't write to radio. This has happened more than 5 times. It has also happened to a friend of mine he can't write to radio either. I've tried versions 1.13 & 1.15. I'm going to try 1.12 next. What happens whatever in the channel 2 position gets a out of band. Then it won't write to radio. But at times it will erase whatever is typed in to program sheet. It's very crazy!

When you say you can't write to the radio, it has happened 5 times. You are saying you've never been able to write to the radio, or it is an intermittent issue?

It sounds like a USB driver issue to me. Did you try installing the driver that came with the software? My computer already had the correct driver, but maybe yours didn't?

It sounds like a USB driver issue to me. Did you try installing the driver that came with the software? My computer already had the correct driver, but maybe yours didn't?
I'm in agreement with Moleculo on this one. This doesn't sound like a radio issue, this is a driver or comm issue.
Have you verified that the driver installed correctly (look under com ports in device manager, it should have the comm port that it is creating listed), did you configure this com port in the application? (tab at the top)

Sure. Which software: the programming software or the software that changes the TX/RX range?

The programming, what is the Decode CTC... and the Encode CTC.. fields I think I need to use only 1 but not sure which
I'm trying to program 146.700 it has a negative offset and a tone of 127.3
thank you

You have to enter both the TX and RX frequencies yourself. The software doesn't do auto-offsets. "Decode CTCSS" is just a Chinese way of saying "Tone Squelch" :D. "Encode CTCSS" is the Repeater Tone. For most repeaters, you just need to set the "Encode CTCSS" value. The software labels that "Cod CTC/DCS".

I attached a print screen example of how you would program the repeater you indicated using the software.

Attachments

• wouxun software.JPG
    wouxun software.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 405

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.