• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WRL Top 5 PPE/Survivalist arms

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Without rule of law, what would you consider your top 5 personal protection equipment in the context of firearms, in order of if you could have only, then only two, etc...?

BTW, I'm not going to list models, but feel free to include them.

1. 9mm pistol - most versatile handgun with most plentiful ammo.

2. 12ga pump - most destructive and reliable personal defense tool - and don't think you can't get decent groupings at 200 yards - plus will do for small to medium game.

3. .22 rifle - essential for small/some med game, plentiful ammo.

4. medium power assault rifle using 7.62x39 - lots of ammo and quality arms to get the job done, reliably.

5. .22 pistol - easy carry, lots of ammo, and versatile.

The 12ga pump is hard to beat. I've got a Wingmaster with slug barrel and Hastings shot barrel with Remchoke.

However, if I can only choose 2, I'll go with my Super Red Hawk and Henry repeater both in .44 mag.

If we're talking personal protection only, I'm going to have to stick with my Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 auto and AK47 7.62x39mm semi auto rifle.

12ga pump and .22lr are hard to beat though. I'd hate to think I'd have to survive with only the .45 and the 7.62

I would go with cartridges that are the most plentiful, easiest to get. In no particular order:

12 ga
5.56 NATO / .223
9mm

BTW, for the 5.56, I would make sure and have a rifle that can shoot 5.56...not .223 only, because that's what the military/police stock. So you're looking at either an AR or Mini-14

I meant to say, if you could have only ONE, which one? Then two, which two, etc...

I might be able to live with just a 12ga, so it was a tuff call between that and a 9mm.

The larger calibur hand guns are just too big for anything else, and ammo is not cheap or always that easy to get.

A.22 is just too small to be the only one to depend on, even though it could work for most things.

Hard to argue 5.56 NATO / .223, but some will.

I figured an SKS and a handful of cases would be easy enough to pick up cheaply.

I'd probably choose an AR. It's good for close quarter combat / protecting the homestead and you can hunt food down to small game (rabbits, varmits). Load 75-77 gr. rounds in magazines for hunting medium sized game (deer, etc.) and self protection. Have some other magazines in 55 gr. in a few magazines for small game.

A shotgun would be useful, but you just can't pack enough ammo. A handgun doesn't have enough range. The SKS is not accurate enough and in this scenario, you don't want to waste ammo. I don't think it's unreasonable to carry two firearms, though: A sidearm and a rifle. John Wayne did it on horseback; I can do it in my Jeep :) :)

I don't think it's unreasonable to carry two firearms, though: A sidearm and a rifle. John Wayne did it on horseback; I can do it in my Jeep :) :)
LOL, that's why I chose the revolver and repeater chambered the same. I can carry the rifle in my scabbard and the revolver in my holster ........ and yes, I have 6 horses ;)

I would go with cartridges that are the most plentiful, easiest to get. In no particular order:

12 ga
5.56 NATO / .223
9mm

As would I.

I never heard the 223 being different than the 5.56. I thought it was just a different way of measuring.

As would I.

I never heard the 223 being different than the 5.56. I thought it was just a different way of measuring.

5.56 has a slightly longer neck, and is a slightly hotter loaded.

You can run 223 through a a 5.56 gun, but you should not do it vice versa. You can, but it's ill advised.

I'll stick to my AR15 and my 1911. I don't need full-auto, I don't need some hard-to-find combloc cartridge. Every Wal-Mart, Meijer, sporting goods store, police department, and military installation in the United States ; you will find 223 or 5.56.

Not too worried about the 1911. If I'm fighting with my pistol, I'm doing it wrong already. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.