• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force 600HD Smoked

So where are you at on this, Shade?

Get around to checking any transistors yet?
Not yet, the weekend got in the way. Will probably dig into it on Tuesday. Also I have been trying to dig up some information on checking the tune of the two pill sections. I am still trying to figure out what caused this failure. Maybe the quality of the DEI transistor, I don't know. I have to think that the tune as it was made couldn't have been that bad maybe? I would hate to have this happen again because I didn't know what to look for. I will keep you guys posted.

Reactions: 2NC995
I always match my resistors and capacitors as well to make sure I have a good balance. It wouldn't be a bad idea seeing you have to rebuild it. I use 1% resistors and 5% capacitors. Use your meter to find the components that are as close as possible. Good Luck !

CB-Definition : As outlined in the Webster's Dictionary - A CB is a wireless communication device .

Also a common acronym for COMPLETLEY BROKE ;)

Example : Man has not payed his truck payment in months and is hiding from the repo men.

Reason : Man HAD to spend $4500 on new alternators and amp for his CB . :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry guys it sounded funny when I started typing it lol . I suck at typing I was not about to erase that scenario haha

Brian

C.B. stands for constantly buying...

Shadetree,

most likely you popped a pill.
as 543 said, pull up the base and collector of each transistor on the side you think failed and check them with your DMM diode function.

if you find a bad one, replace it and also replace that 100 ohm balancing resistor with a 5 watt non-inductive resistor.

are there numbers written on the top of those transistors?
if not, and if you don't have the equipment to measure the beta of the other transistors, you are going to be guessing at the right beta to match up with the others.

i believe you were over driving it.
DEI transistors should not have more than about 10 watts per pill put into them.
and even then they can be flaky.
LC

Well I was trying to talk to the low signals on 38LSB and I just couldn't get them with the Madison and 350HD. If I only had the 4 pill......

So I got out my grandfather's soldering gun (that I learned to solder with when I was 10) and started lifting tabs. Then I said what the heck and took the screws out too. I pulled all the transistors thinking that I would replace them as a set. Found the one that was stinky is also completely open. They all have a #6 underneath so I guess that means hey were matched.

I was looking at ICA and I can get a matched set of HG for about $90. I am thinking the HG are about the same as DEI? Can't quite bring myself to get the Toshibas for $200 each.

IMG_20191227_125412085.jpg

EDIT: The link: https://www.icamanufacturing.com/transistor/hg8m

Last edited:
Good deal. One suggestion would be to pick up a large soldering pencil. The gun has the wattage but not much thermal mass. It's easy to overheat the transistor or the board with a gun because it takes so long for the solder to start flowing.Home depot used to have a good weller pencil with a fat tip on it.

Might even grab a light dimmer switch and make the temp adjustable if you don't have a soldering station.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.