• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X Force incredible screw up

Anyone recommend a home base amp that works on a radio with deadkey of 10-20W? Or failing that a mobile amp. Was thinking 4 or 6 pill tnt, xforce or Texas star amps. Will probably be using it with a bone stock 955hp Stryker.

I just did a deal with X Force for a few parts. Answered emails relatively quick (within 2 days) and looked after me.
If you go X Force TNT line go big or turn down your power. Same with TS amps.

Anyone recommend a home base amp that works on a radio with deadkey of 10-20W? Or failing that a mobile amp. Was thinking 4 or 6 pill tnt, xforce or Texas star amps. Will probably be using it with a bone stock 955hp Stryker.

Something with a pair of 3-500z tubes like the drake L4b. I'd pass on an sb220 unless you only use SSB.

Even a single 3-500z would work. You may have to drop the deadkey another watt or 2. An ameritron al80b will do 125 watts carrier and 500 to 600 pep on AM without stressing it.

For the price of a new 6 pill base you have much better options.

Reactions: Crusher
I just did a deal with X Force for a few parts. Answered emails relatively quick (within 2 days) and looked after me.
If you go X Force TNT line go big or turn down your power. Same with TS amps.

Is their TNT line entry level of the model line up? Whats TS by the way?

Not wanting to sound like a dick, sometimes words don't come over well when typed. You mentioned they treated you well, anything to do with being a staff member of this forum by any chance? Cheers ;-)

Last edited:
Something with a pair of 3-500z tubes like the drake L4b. I'd pass on an sb220 unless you only use SSB.

Even a single 3-500z would work. You may have to drop the deadkey another watt or 2. An ameritron al80b will do 125 watts carrier and 500 to 600 pep on AM without stressing it.

For the price of a new 6 pill base you have much better options.

Sorry for sounding dumb, you mean for me to look at tube amps options?

Also, I'm not sure why it states their 4 pill requires 90A, I thought the general rule of thumb was 100W per pill?

Last edited:
Sorry for sounding dumb, you mean for me to look at tube amps options?

Also, I'm not sure why it states their 4 pill requires 90A, I thought the general rule of thumb was 100W per pill?

If I were looking for a base amp in that power range I would go with a tube. For the price you can have a much better and cleaner amplifier. You already have a strong radio so no need for a driver.

If you run the 4 pill hard you will need a stout power supply. You won't need a monster power supply if you run the amp at 100 watts pep per transistor. Just don't go too cheap on the power supply and work a small one to death.

If you go with tubes I would not go with anything smaller than a 3-500z. Sweep tube CB amps are money pits. 811's and 572b's are slightly better but I'd still rather have the single 3-500.

If I were looking for a base amp in that power range I would go with a tube. For the price you can have a much better and cleaner amplifier. You already have a strong radio so no need for a driver.

If you run the 4 pill hard you will need a stout power supply. You won't need a monster power supply if you run the amp at 100 watts pep per transistor. Just don't go too cheap on the power supply and work a small one to death.

If you go with tubes I would not go with anything smaller than a 3-500z. Sweep tube CB amps are money pits. 811's and 572b's are slightly better but I'd still rather have the single 3-500.

You mean something like a Heathkit sb220? Edit NOT
With base amp, and excuse my lack of knowledge, I was under the impression the box connects directly to the AC wall outlet in the house. The amateur radio amps are mainly setup for their frequencies. Or am I missing something?
The amp would be used with a Stryker radio, or any other device that roughly outputs sub 100W PEP but deadkeys greater than 4 Watts. Export rigs.

You mean something like a Heathkit sb220? Edit NOT
With base amp, and excuse my lack of knowledge, I was under the impression the box connects directly to the AC wall outlet in the house. The amateur radio amps are mainly setup for their frequencies. Or am I missing something?
The amp would be used with a Stryker radio, or any other device that roughly outputs sub 100W PEP but deadkeys greater than 4 Watts. Export rigs.

The amateur amplifiers will work on a different bands. The ameritron units have an "aux" position for 10 and 12 meters. It is disabled from factory and you have to remove a wire on the band switch to make it work on 10, 12......and 11 meters.

You can buy a base amp that plugs into the wall from xforce if that's what you need. It will cost you some bucks and you're getting Chinese transistors. All I'm saying is compare prices and look at all of your options. Some people have trouble using tube amps for one reason or another so they aren't for everyone.

I do understand you don't have a 4 watt cb. That's why I said you would not need to use a driver with any of these amps. The sb220 has a small plate transformer and the cooling system is poor. The work fine on ssb but are not well suited for AM.

The amateur amplifiers will work on a different bands. The ameritron units have an "aux" position for 10 and 12 meters. It is disabled from factory and you have to remove a wire on the band switch to make it work on 10, 12......and 11 meters.

You can buy a base amp that plugs into the wall from xforce if that's what you need. It will cost you some bucks and you're getting Chinese transistors. All I'm saying is compare prices and look at all of your options. Some people have trouble using tube amps for one reason or another so they aren't for everyone.

I do understand you don't have a 4 watt cb. That's why I said you would not need to use a driver with any of these amps. The sb220 has a small plate transformer and the cooling system is poor. The work fine on ssb but are not well suited for AM.

Xforce 4 or 6 pill series base amps looked cheaper price wise than the ameritrons ?

I suggested to him that he contact his credit card company and lodge a complaint stating he didn't get what he paid for......that's what I would do. Their phone line is worthless, never get an answer.....as far as answering emails, he asked them a question before buying and it took almost 2 weeks for an answer.

I believe Visa/mastercard would ask him to send it back with delivery confirmation and then credit his account. I recommend this amp to him so I feel bad.
It does work great on AM but fuzzy on SSB which is what he bought the thing for.
The two week wait from the initial call should've been a warning. I hope he gets it straightened out but unfortunately I doubt it. If they just make money from people who need to see their meters swing especially if the majority of buyer's are AM operators and don't care about how they sound on SSB, the company will probably continue to build and sell amps. Why should they worry about a dissatisfied customers. It sux but it seems to be the nature of the CB amplifier business. Good luck. 73

Seems the only website that details good information and many brands is Jokermans.

So far liking the Texas Star 16X or 667 models. But from what Ive learned on here, pretty pointless getting a 1kw amp when a 500W.

Not sure if its Snake Oil, but I see a lot of videos with folks on youtube updating the internal power cables to thicker ones for better wattage. Why would Texas Star use under ratted wires in the first place, or are these people selling the update scammers?

Last edited:
Looking at buying the Texas Star 667V or 500V from 7eighteenelectronics on ebay, thoughts?

They claim no warranty, risk right? EDIT. I think Ill pass as one has to be stupid to be buy something with no warranty priced at MSRP, right?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.