• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-857D FT-897D 857 897 Frequency modification expansion

Succesfull Mod!

Hey Guys, I'm sorry for bringing back a post from the dead, however I just did this mod to my 857D that I bought in January 2011.

First off, THANK YOU for posting this! This is the only thread where I was able to find the correct version of the mod for my radio!

The whole mod took me about 10 minutes tops and it worked perfectly. One thing I will add is that I also had to reset the radio by holding the F and VM keys down while turning the radio back on. The initial reset of holding HOME and turning the radio on did not work for me.

I used a Radio Shack soldering station that I bought a set of tips for on Ebay a long time that had a perfectly sized tip to heat both pads at the same time to make the solder bridges without intruding on the pads or jumpers next to them. I think this is the same Soldering station made by Hakko but branded by Radio Shack. The tips were Hakko I believe.

I have verified TX on MARS freqs that I need as well as others and everything is working great at this time.

Thanks Again!

Steve

Reactions: Jgreg65
897D

I have an 897D with the mod done. It looks identical to the pictures posted at the beginning of this thread.

To anyone attempting this mod, pay close attention to the solder pad numbers. IIRC they are not in regular numerical order.

If you look carefully, you will see the solder pads are numbered from the factory on the board.

I put the arrows on to show the numbers

Attachments

• 857_897D_USA_BEFORENUMBERS.jpg
    857_897D_USA_BEFORENUMBERS.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,542
Reactions: 1 person
Can anyone confirm that it does disable repeater shift or not. I would love to do
this but still need to use repeaters. Thanks

Can anyone confirm that it does disable repeater shift or not. I would love to do
this but still need to use repeaters. Thanks

It's been a while since I had this radio, but I don't recall that being a problem.

I am a bit confused with this, I don't understand why the jumpers are smd resistors when they could just be soldered. I'm going to show you my 897D, it's brand new, only one day old and I'm a bit nervous in case I take the wrong jumper off. They look huge on photos, but in real life these jumpers are really tiny. This is the UK version of the radio.
Are you sure I only remove jumper 2?.

Attachments

• 2012-11-09-12.05.10_897D-UK.jpg
    2012-11-09-12.05.10_897D-UK.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 974
Has someone compiled a chart that explains what each jumper does?
I have seen some charts but they don't really explain anything.

I have a good idea which jumpers. But I will leave it for now.
The radio has a problem with the power button, sometimes won't switch on and the relays just click inside when I press the power button, other times the relays click and the front panel flashes on and off. Maybe need a replacement.
I'll stick with my TS-2000X HF for now. I only wanted the 897D for the car.

I purchased the radio in April '2012.
I performed the FULL Mars mod per the Yaesu instructions.
Made no difference in HF. No Mars transmit.
I lost about the upper half of 2m and 70cm receive. (couldn't even tune to receive)
I have removed, and redone this mod a few times, and still the same result.

This time I have left the jumpers for VHF/UHF as original, and only jumped the 3 for HF.
Still no HF Mars transmit.

Yes, i held down [V/M] and [F]. Shouldn't that be [Func] instead of [F]?
Keeps resetting my memory every time as expected.

Is there something different with this radio that Yaesu USA doesn't know about?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated