• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-891and Ham Radio Deluxe

You had me curios so I checked my setup. I have both my 590 and IC-7000 setup on HRD. I have no problem select any mode for any band.

First off, can your radio select any mode on 11m without being on HRD?

On the HRD rig control page, there should be a mode button. For both of my radios this button is on the top right corner on the HRD rig control screen. This will give you a drop down button for mode selection.

Is this mode drop down button available with your IC-7200?

If this button isn't available on HRD by default, you should be able to add it by clicking the Customization icon on the top tool bars, then select the Layout TAB.

Look and see if "Mode" is available to add to the dropdowns list and select it, then drag it over the unused drop down buttons on the customization screen, then hit apply then OK.

There is a Bands tab at the top left of the rig control screen where you can select band manager. I just did this and added 11m so it will show up as a quick select button just below the freq. display.The modes aren't saveable that I can see but at least you have a quick 11m band select button.

I posted a screen shot below so you can see both the mode select drop down button on the top right and the 11m button below the freq. display.

If you need to know how I added 11m to the screen, let me know and I'll tell you know how I did it but I think you can figure it out yourself.

be sure to click pic for a large screen view

Screenshot (4).png

Last edited:
The drop down menu for LSB is there, but will not change modes. Are you familiar with FT-891 sideband quirk?

I don't think HRD, has addressed the mode selection quirk this radio has, yet.

Last edited:
No, but it seems to be a quirk in your radio. You have to wonder why that would be.

Are you saying your radio won't TX on 11m using USB?

I see you posted the solderless TX mod on a new thread, and I see YouTube videos of your radio operating on USB.

This is my second FT-891. I posted the modification procedure, as it is a different technique than the usual soldered pads.

Radio will transmit USB on 11 meters fine, it's when you want to operate LSB. In order to select LSB, you have to fidget around in the menu to do it. Once your on LSB, it'll default back to USB if you touch the VFO. You can save a frequency on LSB into memory as a walk-around, though.

There's a dude that didn't like it, so he wrote his own CAT program called Radioface, that has the ability to select LSB easily. There's discussion of it on the forum. I installed it, but I think it has a conflict with HRD.

Certain owners have been waiting for a firmware update to fix this issue, but doesn't look like it's coming. The radio is still an awesome performer and great rig for the money. No FM, sorts sucks, though. It receives past 6 meters, but not on FM.

Last edited:
I get it now.

Strange that this radio would have an issue selecting USB after a TX mod and surprisingly it has no FM.

I wouldn't expect HRD to address this especially since it needs a 3rd party software program to work properly.

I would consider reverting back to stock if you want to use this with HRD on HF and Digital and use your Icom for 11m. Connect them both to your computer and just select either one you want to use in the HRD start up screen

I use the HRD DM780 for digital modes like PSK 31 and it's a nice program with auto logging.

If you want to play with FT8 or JT65, use WSIT with JTXalert. It works flawlessly and auto logs to HRD.

These modes should work just fine with your Yaesu but obviously so much less trouble if you revert it back.

The menu needs both sidebands selectable without fiddling in the menu. You could be on 40 meter LSB, then want to listen to aviation frequencies, which utilize USB. To do so, ya' gots to do a menu dance to do it.

I browsed thru the 891 manual. Sure enough there is no easy mode select to toggle between USB/LSB. I think that is a ridiculous design flaw. This radio like my 590 has an selectable auto-mode feature which is great because in most cases the frequencies within each segment of the HF bands will generally use a specific mode and auto select it for you. My Icom sort of does this but the auto mode isn't selectable but both radios can always change modes at any time no matter where the radio is tuned to by simply hitting the mode button.

Unfortunately you do have to do a " menu dance" to change SSB modes because all I see in the menu on the 891 is Auto-mode, USB, or LSB with no front panel easy mode toggling. Not very practical at all especially since this is considered a mobile radio.

WITHOUT DIVING INTO THE MANUAL TOO FAR, MOST RADIO'S HAVE AT LEAST 1 USER PROGRAMMABLE FUNCTION BUTTON. TYPICALLY THESE LET YOU PROGRAM JUST ABOUT ANY MENU FUNCTION FOR QUICK RECALL.
IF THIS IS SO, SIMPLY PROGRAM THE MENU NUMBER/NAME FOR THE MODE SELECT TO THIS PROGRAMMABLE BUTTON AND NOW THIS WILL TOGGLE THE SSB MODES FOR YOU JUST LIKE IT WILL IF YOU WERE IN THE RADIO'S MENU SCREEN!
THIS WILL BE LESS MENU STEPS TO GET THERE BUT NOT QUITE THE SAME AS A DIRECT FRONT PANEL MODE SSB MODE SWITCH.

If not, then until Yaesu does a major firmware update that's the way it's going to be. Because of this, HRD is setup to run on each radios designed functions within their database so that's should explain why it didn't pickup the outsourced firmware fix.

You mentioned that this radio doesn't have FM, the manual clearly says it does. It has FM complete with CTCSS and DCS for repeaters. Where you implying no FM just on receive only past 6m?

Yeah, your right about FM. I had a brain fart and was thinking of my IC-7200 when I wrote that. The Radioface software from K7LZR, works great and easily selects LSB, It's just not full featured like HRD, but it gets the job done. Be nice if HRD threw him a bone for his code, but that'll never happen. QRZ'd crony type hams, boff at my need for easy mode selection.

The rig is still great for the money. I traded my first one to get my 7200 back, then missed it for mobile use, so I bought another one while on sale during Dayton festivities.
rface-screen.png

I am also waiting for the new firmware upgrade that will give us a LSB or USB button in the mode screen. My 706 and 7100 works great with HRD.

Reactions: Mudfoot
Also back onto running digital on the 891. I start up HRD, then start the logbook in Hrd. Then I start WSJT using FT8, then JTAlert. Anytime I make a 2 way contake on FT8, JTAlert will log my contact thr hrd logbook and put it on EQSL. All done automatically.

Reason I am running HRD, is I could not get FT8 to configure to the 891. I got tired of trying different settings and went into HRD and it did not take long to setup.

I downloaded a copy of the RT Systems FT-891 programming software last night for $25. Installed very smooth with no issues. Very easy to program memories and menu settings. It easily selects LSB.

I have my 891 perched up high on My desk. It's much easier lounging back and programming everything on the computer, instead of standing up hunched over the rig pressing thousands of buttons.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.