• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-891and Ham Radio Deluxe

The RT Systems software has a CAT control feature. Has about all you need, except for mode selection. Be nice if it did.
Screenshot 2018-06-02 19.44.41.png

The only workaround I found to switch the FT-891 to LSB where the default BFO is USB is by creating a CAT command in the Macros section of HRD. Natively it seems HRD was not setup correctly for the FT-891.
The CAT command is simple (this is a manual workaround, not a fix):
For LSB use the following commands:
EX11071; (this sets the radio in LSB mode)
MD01; (this reads the mode and populates the HRD screen with the right mode)

Same for USB:
EX11070;
MD02;

Example:

I am hoping that HRD will fix this problem. This is not the FT-891 problem. HRD is using the wrong command string to switch bands for FT-891.

Radio common settings:
baud rate = 4800
RTS = enabled

Good luck.
I have a ticket opened with their technical department.
I will try:
- replacing the USB cable between the computer and the radio

Already tried:
- factory resetting the radio
- reinstalling HRD
- reinstalling the FT-891 drivers

Last edited:
The only workaround I found to switch the FT-891 to LSB where the default BFO is USB is by creating a CAT command in the Macros section of HRD. Natively it seems HRD was not setup correctly for the FT-891.
The CAT command is simple (this is a manual workaround, not a fix):
For LSB use the following commands:
EX11071; (this sets the radio in LSB mode)
MD01; (this reads the mode and populates the HRD screen with the right mode)

Same for USB:
EX11070;
MD02;

Example:

I am hoping that HRD will fix this problem. This is not the FT-891 problem. HRD is using the wrong command string to switch bands for FT-891.

Radio common settings:
baud rate = 4800
RTS = enabled

Good luck.
I have a ticket opened with their technical department.
I will try:
- replacing the USB cable between the computer and the radio

Already tried:
- factory resetting the radio
- reinstalling HRD
- reinstalling the FT-891 drivers
Cable recommended by HRD support (gold plated and with ferrite) made no difference. Issue persists.
Upon checking with a tech from Yaesu, HRD asked me to re-flash my FT-891 with the latest firmware.
I noticed my radio Main and DSP firmwares were dated 2021. At this time (July 2023) Yaesu has a 2022 dated set of firmwares Main and DSP. So, I will upgrade the firmware which includes a full factory reset.
Hope that's the solution for me.
I will post the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot
The RT Systems software has a CAT control feature. Has about all you need, except for mode selection. Be nice if it did.View attachment 23830
The RT software is good but to me, the only purpose is to back-up memory and menu values. Nothing else. I fully control my FT-891 remotely including voice TX audio via the LAN and the visual aid of a webcam facing the radio. HRD does a good job when paired with RemAud server and client software. I can operate my radio fully without being anywhere near it. Before HRD I used flrig. Free and very good. HRD is a full suite and I can appreciate the software. Hope the firmware upgrade will do the trick. (Yaesu technician recommendation)

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.