• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 Review

Monoband display

p. 13, Enhanced mode shows it and talks about monoband scope but I can't find the procedure to get into monoband display mode. Where did I miss it?

Thanks!

p. 13, Enhanced mode shows it and talks about monoband scope but I can't find the procedure to get into monoband display mode. Where did I miss it?

Thanks!

Yeah, that took me a while to figure out also. It's actually on page 1 of the manual, in the upper left callout box. You press and hold either the FWD or BCK key to put it into Mono-Band mode. In the manual it says "Press and hold in these keys toggle the Dual Receive feature "on" and "off". I actually figured it out by just pressing buttons and only saw that one little sentence several days later.

Reactions: 1 person
Monoband...

Yeah, that took me a while to figure out also. It's actually on page 1 of the manual, in the upper left callout box. You press and hold either the FWD or BCK key to put it into Mono-Band mode. In the manual it says "Press and hold in these keys toggle the Dual Receive feature "on" and "off". I actually figured it out by just pressing buttons and only saw that one little sentence several days later.

After I stumbled upon it, I went to the front of the manual to see what it said about the button - not very clear...Dual Receive? Then they call it 'monoband' later... Love the radio - the manual was written on someone's coffee break! Thanks for replying - any word on your rig?

The radio arrived today back from warranty. It left here on the the 2nd and returned on the 19th...17 day turn around. They had originally estimated that the turnaround time would be 2 weeks. To be perfectly honest, I thought that estimate was optimistic, so I quite satisfied that they got it to back to me very close to the original estimate. Having to send a brand new radio in for warranty repairs sucks to begin with, but if they can truly figure out the problem and turn it around within a couple weeks, what else can you ask?

If you've been following my other thread on the lock-up issues here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-bands-vhf-uhf-rigs/42309-yaesu-ftm-350-lock-up-problems.html, you'll see that I've hooked the radio back up already to continue the testing. In the coming days, I will also test the NAVI feature again and shoot another video to demonstrate whether or not the problem is fixed.

I have a few more features that need to be demonstrated for this review and then I'll give my overall impression of the radio. If there is anything that you would like me to cover that I haven't yet, please ask.

So the questions are:

• will there be a general release update on this?
  • do we all have to prove that our radio is acting up before they apply this patch?
  • will this update be field update-able?

So did they indicate that they actually fixed something? I still wish they would add some kind of memory management like on ALL there other radios. Keep us updated.

Even knowing the issues faced by others I went to HRO today to pick up an FTM-350R only to be informed that they had pulled them from sale as of ~1:00 on Friday, February 19. The salesman told me they were all being returned for repair and would not be available through HRO until the issues were resolved.

Mixed feelings; I really wanted to get it setup today but now I have plenty of time to do the installation right.

I still can't find anything official on the net about a recall.

I don't believe there is a way to update this radio yourself to fix this problem. The firmware is not user update-able. I think the only thing you can do is send it in for repair if you're having this problem.

Band scope features

This radio sports excellent band scope features that make really good use of the good display. The band scope will work on one VFO while the other VFO is being monitored and receiving audio. You can also have both VFOs use the band scope on the same or different bands at the same time.

Here is a picture of the scope in action on both VFOs at once:

1125-1267080938-06b62ae1195593f775baaba208855061.jpg

Notice the BW and ATT buttons while the scope is on. The BW changes the scope bandwidth between a scan of +/- 22 "channels" and +/- 50 "channels. The ATT button activates a 10db attenuator. As a side note, it would be nice if this attenuator function was available outside of the scope function.

In the basic scope mode, you just turn the dial to the peak signal and press in on the dial. The radio switches to that frequency and unmutes the audio. However, to get the most out of the band scope, you will want to enter the Special Function Menu and enable the Enhanced Mode under menu option "8 - Band Scope"

Once you've enabled the enhanced band scope functions, you have some additional options while in single band mode. Under normal use, when you turn the dial while the scope is on, the audio is still muted until you press in on the main dial to change frequency. However, with the enhanced mode enabled, you hit the CSR button, then turn the sub dial to move the cursor along the scope to actually monitor the new frequency while the scope continues scanning. Here is a pic of it in action:

1126-1267080938-13220e7715863088c85fcbf8d3b5e14d.jpg

Notice that the arrow under the scope is not solid in color when using this feature. The frequency display changes as you turn the dial. The next button labeled C=CSR allows you to change the "center" frequency on the scope to the newly selected frequency while still scoping the band. Here is a pic after the button has been pressed from the previous screen:

1127-1267080938-85e52d16c00e2a9960ec32d8d3c0776a.jpg

These functions are a little difficult to describe, but they work well and are easy to use. After you have done it once, you'll see how well it works. This is certainly one of the better features of this radio.

220 Amplification

Crossband Repeat Functionality

One last comment: Although the manual does not indicate this, you can crossband repeat on 220mhz! I actually like this because I have a 220 brick amp and antenna which will let me put out 20 watts on that band. Now I can walk around the house with my HT and talk to my buddies at 20 watts on 220 Mhz! (y)

How are you routing the antenna cabling to amplify the 220 in mix with the 2m and 440?

I have a few TM-741/742 tribanders I use as 2m/220/440 crossbanders for event work. Having an amplifiable 220 just about seals the deal for me in looking for a modern day replacement.

Thanks for your review and instructions. Good useful info!

How are you routing the antenna cabling to amplify the 220 in mix with the 2m and 440?

I use a Triplexer for 2m/440/2m. That allows me to amplify the 220 signal into it's own antenna. In the house I have 2m, 220, and 440 on their own antennas. I really only use 440 to communicate with my HT, though.

Thank-you,

Do you have pictures of the I/O on the main chassis? In running through the electronic copy of the manual, there were no illustrations of the chassis. I have not yet consulted the electronic copy of the APRS guide for an illustration.

Also, a fellow Ham who just picked up a 350 suggests that the APRS implementation does not allow time-slotting. This has always been a fault with the D-7xx series and Alinco DR-series, lack of time-referencing commands that can be found on the Kantronics and Byonics dedicated boxes. Some events I work 'slot' location beacons by schedule.

More importantly, does the 350 APRS behave? One of the annoying issues with my sold-off D700 was that it so-wanted to send APRS information when I was in a controlled receive-only situation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.