• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 Review

RE: I use a Triplexer for 2m/440/2m.

Which triplexer are you using? And does anyone know of one that will consolidate 2 meter / 440mhz—and then have a separate connection for a 220 antenna? I have two NMO’s on the roof of my truck for antennas, and for this rig it would be great to have one dual bander (2M/70 cm antenna) and one dedicated 220 antenna. Any info would be greatly appreciated … and thanks so much for such a great thread on this radio!!!

Thanks, Donald ~ N2VU

Do you have pictures of the I/O on the main chassis?
I'm not sure I understand which part you want pics of? Do you just want the back of the main radio chassis?

Also, a fellow Ham who just picked up a 350 suggests that the APRS implementation does not allow time-slotting.
No, it doesn't support that. You can tell it to beacon every XX minutes or use the Smart Beaconing feature
More importantly, does the 350 APRS behave? One of the annoying issues with my sold-off D700 was that it so-wanted to send APRS information when I was in a controlled receive-only situation.
I have not had any issues with the APRS functions that the radio supports. If I don't want it to beacon, I just turn off the auto-beacon with the press of a button.

Which triplexer are you using?
This one here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/vhf-uhf-...met-high-frequency-144-220-440-triplexer.html

And does anyone know of one that will consolidate 2 meter / 440mhz—and then have a separate connection for a 220 antenna?
I've never heard of one like that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Triplexers and Antenna's for this radio

I use a Triplexer for 2m/440/2m. That allows me to amplify the 220 signal into it's own antenna. In the house I have 2m, 220, and 440 on their own antennas. I really only use 440 to communicate with my HT, though.

So with regards to this triplexer you’re using, I’ll assume that you have a patch-cord from the ‘plxer to the radio, and then you’re using three double female barrel connectors fro the ends of your antenna feed-lines? If so I see a lot of loss in all those connections! I was hoping that I could find a triplexer that has an SO-259 connector to plug right to the radio, and three females / SO-239 plugs to connect the antenna’s PL-259’s directly to it … see what I’m describing?? That would be so much easier and less loss!! The only better way I’ve seen so far is to just use the CR320BNMO tri-band antenna with feed-line just strait to radio … issue for me with that is I have a full size Tahoe and that on the roof will mean no more drive-thru anything!!!

Any idea / suggestions here?

Donald ~ N2VU

If so I see a lot of loss in all those connections!

There isn't hardly enough insertion loss at 144mhz and 220mhz to be concerned about. At 440 you will get a little. The insertion loss of a UHF barrel connector at 144mhz is about 0.2db. At 440mhz, it approaches 1db of insertion loss, which still isn't enough for me to care about. If you want, you could modify everything to use N connectors ;)

The UHF type connectors under network analysis

Just got a FTM-350 with the Voice Guide and GPS options. Thank-you for the 220 info. It will be awhile before I setup an amplified 220 - good to know its an option; my TM-742 has many years left, but now I have a potentially viable replacement for crossbanding that frequency.

I'll get the Bluetooth option .. I think this could be very useful when I offroad trails.. having both hands free and clear may be a real benefit.

I'll drop a note here if I find anything new. Thanks again for your review and features.

(if anyone from Yaesu/Vertex is monitoring - an future option for a 220 final would be nice. That is the entirety of my wish list)

Regarding the firmware fix,

The FTM-350 I received from HRO Burbank has a 'green dot' on the packaging. I was told these have a very recent (2010) manufacturing date and were made with the revised firmware - if I understood correctly from a trusted source. Mine has the serial # 0C0301**. These newly manufactured units do not need to be sent back to Yaesu/Vertex for revision as had happened to the earlier batch.

Last edited:
Regarding the firmware fix,

The FTM-350 I received from HRO Burbank has a 'green dot' on the packaging. I was told these have a very recent (2010) manufacturing date and were made with the revised firmware - if I understood correctly from a trusted source. Mine has the serial # 0C0301**. These newly manufactured units did not need to be sent back to Yaesu/Vertex for revision as had happened to the earlier batch.

Does anyone know who I'm supposed to contact and where I'm supposed to send my 350 for the firmware update before I go ahead and permanently mount it in my truck?

Does anyone know who I'm supposed to contact and where I'm supposed to send my 350 for the firmware update before I go ahead and permanently mount it in my truck?

Here is the information that was sent directly to me when I contacted them about the lockup and NAVI issues:

Send the radio to:

Vertex Standard
10900 Walker Street
Cypress, CA 90630
Attn: Amateur Repairs.

Please include a description of the problem including what you've done prior to sending it in (the tech is going to read this), your full contact
information with e-mail address.

For shipping, bubble wrap or double box the equipment, send fully insured
with tracking information to the above address.
Once the unit arrived, Customer Service will contact you with status of
repair and turn around time.

Please follow up with them (customer service). Their contact
telephone number is 714-827-7600 ext 6400.

Connections and color

Hi all,

Could someone post a picture of the head unit with a red display?

When the rig is available here in Belgium i would like to place it in the trunk of my car and place the head unit down on my dashboard.

- Are the inside speakers loud enough to use, and is there a external speaker output on the head unit?
- Are the connections with standard RJ45 connectors?
- Is it possible to place the GPS unit away from the radio?

Sorry for so many questions...

73 de Ken
ON7RK

Ken,

I will post a picture of mine which is located on the dash and has the deepest color of red selected. The control head speakers work great in my pickup, no problems hearing over road noise, stereo, other radio. The external speaker jack in on the chassis, and I carry a 6' stereo male-male 3.5 mm to connect into the line-in on my factory stereo then I can have the door speakers carry the radio audio. I don't believe the cable from the head to the chassis is the normal RJ45 (used in ethernet connections), Moleculo may know that answer.

I forgot to mention, the GPS is installed on the control head and works great down on my steering column and pushed up against the gauges.

Here's the picture, my dash lights are turned down about 50%.

350_dash.JPG

Oops should have resized it, Sorry!

SkySho,

Tnx for the reply...
About the RJ45 connectors, that's no problem, i only want to know if i can use standard UTP cable.
The idea of you to put the audio into the aux jack is great...
I have my car in about 8 weeks, so te dealer can drill the hole for the antenna and place the cable from the dashboard to the trunk.

Ken
ON7RK
Homepage ON7RK - OO7K

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.