• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu VX-8r mod - first on the internet!

It's increadibly frustrating that I can't even use my vx-8r to talk with my kids on their frs radios.

Marc

If you do the mod you can. FRS is on 462 and 467Mhz. The mod allows TX up to 470Mhz.

Remember, some FRS radios display the CTCSS tones as "sub channels", i.e. 1-3, where channel 1 = 462.5625 Mhz on every FRS radio but the -3 is going to be some CTCSS tone that you'll have to look in their manual for. Those "sub channels" aren't the same tone from one manufacturer to the other, either.

Scrape Away Option

Yep! It works.

I grabed the resistor with the tweezers and it crumbled. No hot iron required!

I would say it was designed to be a scrape-away option.

All systems go.

RX
Frequency Note
0.5 - 1.8 MHz BC Band. AM Radio
1.8 - 30 MHz Shortwave Band.
30 - 78 MHz 6 Meter Ham
76 - 108 MHz FM Radio
108 - 137 MHz Air Band
137 - 174 MHz 144 MHz Ham. 2 Meter
174 - 222 MHz VHF-TV
222 - 225 MHz 222 MHz Ham
225 - 420 MHz General Band 1
420 - 470 MHz 440 MHz Ham. 70 cm.
470 - 800 MHz UHF-TV
800 - 999 MHz General Band 2 Cellular Blocked

TX
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
222 - 225 MHz USA version only
430 - 440 MHz

TX w/ mod
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
148 - 174 MHz MARS/CAP Mod only
222 - 225 MHz USA version only
430 - 440 MHz
440 - 470 MHz MARS/CAP Mod only. FRS/GMRS freq range

Reactions: sounds
Yep! It works.

I grabed the resistor with the tweezers and it crumbled. No hot iron required!

I would say it was designed to be a scrape-away option.

All systems go.

I just did another mod, the first time I melted the plastic in a few places with my soldering iron.

This time I used a xacto knife and gently cut the resistor out. The solder is very soft. The biggest pain of doing this mod is getting that sticky adhesive off.

Hello everyone. This is my first post and thanks to VX8R unit, i signed up here. Thanks everyone for lots of great info. I am hooked to this new field.

I have one question about mod mentioned here.
Is there any reason to think this mod will negatively affect this radio at all. I read unconfirmed information that it destabilizes Tx power in certain bands, or even reduces power transmission overall. It doesn't sound logical to me, but i figured i should ask here before i perform the mod.

thanks a lot in advance.

best regards

Last edited:
I did the mod on my new VX-8R.

power on
SET mode
#21 CWID
CWID (ON)
push "MODE"
turn DIAL to A, push "MODE"
turn DIAL to H, push "MODE"
repeat 6-7 ,to type in "AH029M"
push "SET" to get out set mode
power off
oush HM/RV + MENU power on
turn DIAL to choose MODE ***
push Function/w
power off
pwoer on
After mod band will be: 120-173.995MHz, 220-221.995MHz,400-469.995MHz,300-576MHz

But I notice that if the tx frequency is less than 140.000mhZ, the voice is very very soft. Barely noticeable. I tested my VX-8R with 3 unit of FT-60R at 137.025mHZ, the voice is barely noticeable. But when I tune my VX-8R to 140.000mHZ the voice is loud as FT-60R.

The funniest thing is, my FT-60R can transmit at 137.000mHZ without any modification and the voice is very very clear.

Hello everyone. This is my first post and thanks to VX8R unit, i signed up here. Thanks everyone for lots of great info. I am hooked to this new field.

I have one question about mod mentioned here.
Is there any reason to think this mod will negatively affect this radio at all. I read unconfirmed information that it destabilizes Tx power in certain bands, or even reduces power transmission overall. It doesn't sound logical to me, but i figured i should ask here before i perform the mod.

thanks a lot in advance.

best regards

I haven't seen any negative effects of the "remove the resistor" mod on mine. The power output within the ham bands is the same as before. The power will drop off the farther you get out of the ham bands, but that's pretty common with all radios.

vx-3e

hello rther all, im wondering how to transmitt on other channels on my vx-3e. there have been mods posted online however i cant seem to folow them... on a vx-3R its pritty simple, just remove the jumper, however on my vx-3e the circuits behind the battery is different..

any suggestions?

VX-8DR

I just verified that this mod works on my brand spankin new 8DR! Works like a charm!! I used the tweezers technique...30 second mod, 2 minutes trying to figure out how to remove the seal...lol :D

Vx-8 mod

I opened the back of the radio and I see no resistor. is the resistor in the European model?
If anybody has any info please send to KC2VQH.com
Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated