• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yesterday's forum activity.

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Yesterday saw some conduct on the forum that was not in keeping with what we look for here. Some of it was because someone got their feelings hurt and complained. Some was because someone simply cannot let things go and move on and repeatedly posts the same crap. Some of it was even because an admin simply had enough on top of what was an extremely bad day at work and was fed up with the pettiness that goes on sometimes and thinks that there are much more important things in life than arguing over an antenna or a radio shop. Why was yesterday any different you may ask? Well yesterday I watched a man die at work. I had to take a quick trip to the welding shop and usually take the freight elevator but this time since I only had a very small job for them I took the stairs just around the corner from where I was working. It led directly down to the shipping area. Just as I got to the bottom of the steps I saw a driver talking to one of the shippers while the other shipper that was loading his truck was out in the warehouse with the forklift. The other two shipping crews were on break. Suddenly the guys knees buckled and he hit the floor. He was in cardiac arrest. Sheldon and I started CPR on him while we hollered for the now returning other shipper to get the AED (Automatic External Defibrillator) of which we have three located throughout the plant and page for the emergency response team. The AED is alarmed and upon removal sends a message directly to the plant foreman who is to call 911. The AED detected no heartbeat and because of this would not shock him. Contrary to what most people think an AED will NOT shock if there is no heartbeat or if there is a normal heartbeat. It shocks only if the heart is in an abnormal rhythm known as A-fib or V-fib. We continued CPR until paramedics arrived but there was nothing we nor they could do. He was gone. I finished my shift but kept thinking about how short life can be and we never know when our time is up. It puts all the pettiness and bickering into a different perspective. Lets ALL take a step back and reset ourselves and reflect on those things that REALLY matter and not worry about the petty things that we may disagree with. Lets not worry if our feelings get hurt because life is full of those things and dwelling on them only leads to a shorter life and life is already too short.

Amen CK and may God watch over his family and help comfort you. I had a similar thing happen many years ago and while I was not the one doing CPR I was there helping. It really makes you look at life differently. A year ago I had a heart attack, lucky the EMT's got to my home quickly and I am still here typing this. Life can change in an instant! God bless.

Nothing like watching a man die to sharpen your focus on what's important.

And what's not.

Sorry you had to experience this. Safe bet it's one you'll never forget.

Bravo for keeping your head and making the effort to save the guy's life.

My family doctor collapsed at his office on an otherwise-normal day at work. Fortunately for him, his office building is adjacent to a fully-equipped hospital. Took very little time to get him to the ER and find that his pulmonary aorta had burst open. I consider it a modern miracle he survived this at all. Didn't come back to work for a year, and was about 50 pounds lighter when he did. I asked him just how many feet farther from intensive care he could be and still survive. His opinion was "not very far".

I know humor is not normally considered appropriate to an event like this, but I can't help remembering a joke an old friend used to tell.

Before he died in his sleep last year.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers".

Cherish the day. Might be your last.

Last month, my Grandfather passed, at 90 years old. For the better part of the last 3 decades, he frequently told me, "At my age, every day is a bonus."

As many friends, aquaintences, and associates that I have buried since high school, (twice, I have attended a funeral for the child of a friend.) I'm inclined to think that every day is a bonus, regardless of your age.

My Grandfather expected to die in his early 60's, as his father did. (He also was a heavy drinker and a chain smoker, for much of his life.) He used to say that he woke up surprised and delighted, every morning. I'm pretty sure that being delighted to be alive played a part in staying alive.

He had been living with my aunt. The night that he passed, my aunt went to do the evening routine, and found my Grandfather still dressed, and wearing his sunglasses. She asked if he was going somewhere, and he responded that he was going to Florida. She laughed, and put him to bed. The next morning, she found him with sunglasses on, and cane in hand. Granddaddy had gone to Florida.

Captain, that was a horrible thing to witness. Aside from acknowledging that fact, I don't quite know what to say, aside from praying for peace to come upon you.

Internet drama is fairly silly. I don't let myself get bent out of shape over it. Half the time, I don't even know what the hell is going on, lol, so it's hard to be bothered by it, even if I wished to be.

What I've seen, over the past couple of days, looks like a clash of personalities, combined with a lack of full understanding of what was said by another.

I would suggest that we would all benefit from rereading a post, in its entirety, and reflecting upon the intended message, before responding to it. I know that I have been misunderstood on this forum, myself. I just assumed that my post wasn't fully read, and let it go.

Also, when I find myself in disagreement with someone, I try to keep my criticism focused on the idea with which I disagree, as opposed to the person stating the objectionable idea. When the debate becomes circular, and no new information is forthcoming, it's time to back away from the debate, and end my part in it.

The other night, I found myself discussing religion with a fellow trucker. We met on friendly terms. In the course of our discussions, it came out that I am a Christian, and he an Odenist. We debated the merits of our respective faiths, found some common ground, maintained a mutual respect for each other as fellow humans inhabiting the same planet, and we parted on friendly terms.

One of my best friends likes to reiterate a quote from a client that he had, years ago:

"Seek first to understand, THEN to be understood. "

Grace and peace to you all.

Awesome work Capt.
The AED is an amazing machine and works well if there is a shock-able rhythm. I have seen it used first hand about 10-12 times. Best one being the individual was talking when ems got on scene (that's a story in itself)
Compared to what you went through, the pettiness real makes one wonder about things.

Trust me gents the Capitan is right... I pick up the shattered pieces of lives almost everyday....

God Bless you my friend..

Sure sorry to hear of his passing before you, it's not easy to take.

I will be going in the 21st to take the "shock" treatment too, I just found out last month that I have the A-fib....

Sure sorry to hear of his passing before you, it's not easy to take.

I will be going in the 21st to take the "shock" treatment too, I just found out last month that I have the A-fib....

All the best on your cardioversion. My wife is an RN and has been in on a few of those. When I asked her how things went she would just say "Simply shocking". :p

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.