• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

Your Kind of right Yeshau, but they cost more to manfacture than like say a 257 Magnum so I don't see the price dropping unless the American Dollar gets to the point it is worth more than now

You just sound like a Sour Grapes Kind Of Guy. I offered to trade you a great working 2 week old computer programming radio for a trade so I guess you must feel the Optima is just a better radio and not willing to give up a broken Optima the way you talk about it.

I'm actually a mellow type dude. Just don't care much for businesses that don't honor a warranty repair. The display has a DEFECT, the warranty says they will repair a defect, what's not to undertand?

I'm sure if one of your new Optimas had an issue and Dave said your SOL, you'd be a little bent as well. I have a right to be SOUR. I have a fairly new rig with an issue that needs fixed, a supplier that is crapping on me, not to mention a depreciated value on my $375 investment.

Ain't the first time I've been screwed.

First off Dave would never say your SOL he would tell you to turn the radio off and turn it back on the display would function just fine. Mine have done that if I leave them on for a days without shutting them off it's just a matter of turning it off then back on so don't pick on Dave. He does stand behind his radios if you have a REAL problem not a little tick with an on and off issue. If your computer acts up don't you reboot it?? Well the CPU in an Optima is the same thing it just needs to be rebooted. I think your just angry that you paid that much money for a radio. Nobody held a gun to your head to buy it. So how about selling it on Ebay or Cragis List if your not happy. Trade it to me for an Anytone, they don't have any issues like that. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a little, there is no doubt the Optima is the head of the class. I just think your an unhappy kind of guy

If it's just a little rebooting issue as you describe, then why did they diagnose the problem as an unstable PLL and fix it in later versions. They could have just put a note in the manual telling people to turn it on and off. No big deal right?

I understand that your a fan of the radio. The fact remains: It has a defect.

Why should I be complacent about an issue that doesn't affect you?

Doesn't matter how much I paid for it. If your going to offer a warranty, then you should honor it or don't offer one at all.

I don't appreciate being antagonized and psychoanalyzed. I get enough of that shit at home and work.

If Dave doesn't want to honor my warranty, then so be it.

I am done with this thread and will only respond to technical questions concerning this issue.

were you born an ass or did you work at it your whole life. I offered you a deal to get out of a radio you have with a problem because I personally believe it is you not the radio. I do not work for Yeticom or am I a dealer for them I just feel they provide us a quailty product for a little bit more money. Swap me the Optima for the Anytone and you will be done with your issues the only cost will be shipping. If you do not agree with the deal then quit bashing the Optima, it is a GREAT radio with GREAT quality componets nothing like the newer 257HP Magnums that are all junk and I really mean JUNK on SSB. If your not in agreement with me I understand we all have out own opinions but I have owned almost everything made in the last 10 years and to me there is no doubt the Optima is at the head of the class. If you do not agree with me then try spending thousands of dollars on radios so you can find something that you like like I did

were you born an ass or did you work at it your whole life. I offered you a deal to get out of a radio you have with a problem because I personally believe it is you not the radio. I do not work for Yeticom or am I a dealer for them I just feel they provide us a quailty product for a little bit more money. Swap me the Optima for the Anytone and you will be done with your issues the only cost will be shipping. If you do not agree with the deal then quit bashing the Optima, it is a GREAT radio with GREAT quality componets nothing like the newer 257HP Magnums that are all junk and I really mean JUNK on SSB. If your not in agreement with me I understand we all have out own opinions but I have owned almost everything made in the last 10 years and to me there is no doubt the Optima is at the head of the class. If you do not agree with me then try spending thousands of dollars on radios so you can find something that you like like I did

No need to call the guy an ass, IIRC it was less than a year ago you were all over the forums pissing and moaning about a warranty issue.It sounds like you're calling sour grapes due to the fact m42duster doesn't want to trade with you.I see where he is coming from, why would anyone want to trade a $350+ radio for a $150 radio, when it sounds like it should the issue should be repaired under the warranty?

If it is a defect I would think it would be covered under the warranty, if not then the warranty is worthless.I'd like to read Dave's stance on this.....:pop:

Optima display

To be honest: I don't like responding to this sort of thing on a forum.
Technically the radio is not broken because I think I am correct in saying the display returns to normal after the radio is turned on and off.

If the radio display remains in the state in the photograph after being turned on and off then it would need to be fixed. Warranty would cover the repair work as long as the radio is under 1 yr old from purchase date, and the radio was purchased from yeticomnz.

My Mk 2 Optima does the same from time to time....I just did not think too much of it because it came back to normal after turning the radio off and then on again. There is also a reset command in the manual that may reduce the occurrence of the display blanking out.

I understand that this is unacceptable to some people. We worked to find the cause of and solution in the following production run and I have a mk3 I am leaving on continuously to make sure we have cured the problem. So far so good but one never knows.

The Optima does have a reputation for robustness and quality. It is because of these attributes, it enjoys a high resell/trade value.

Since mine has this undesirable defect, I can't enjoy a good return on my investment. I don't think any explanation, short of coming from the Pope himself, will comfort a prospective buyer to pay me a fair price.

So, I seem to have a turd that is worth less than half of what I paid for it.

Please pardon me if I appear a little SOUR.

Last edited:
I have just bought the MK3 version, so far everything seems good. No vfo wobble or display problems. The function button is now on the clarifier, and the dual knobs have been replaced with plastic knobs so that when turning one the other does not move.
I much prefer this radio to my Ranger 2970n2, the receive (white noise) is a whole lot quieter without compromising distance stations. The filter on the Optima is amazing, it's like someone just turned the radio off but you can still here stations talking.

Just picked one of these radios up.

So far so good. Only thing that worries me is the output seems a little low on SSB. Only getting about 15 watts out talking normally and about 20-25 with a whistle.

If it's one of the 250 dollar ones from the guy in Michigan I would just send it back, if you mess with the seals they might void the warranty. Maybe that's why the good price

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated