• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

ATTENTION OPTIMA OWNERS

What are you getting for output power levels with RF power turned all the way down?

I have an Ameritron meter that has a 300 watt minimum scale. It kinda looks like I am getting 4 watts DK with 10 watts peak. SSB looks to be around 15 watts max.

Anyway, wondering if my RM Italy HLA-150V can digest the QRP setting this radio has on low power.

BTW. my Optima is stock and unmolested. I need to get another meter for low power stuff.

Amplifier specs:

RM Italy HLA 150V Plus Professional Linear Amplifier With Fans [hla150v] - $340.00 : RMItaly.US, The RM Italy Store!

I believe most ICOM 8 pin electret mics will work. I had a ICOM HM-36 hand mic that received good reports. i am looking for a used ICOM SM-6 desk mic for mine.

so guys, how is this radio in the mobile, noisy receive-wise? early on, like page 3 or something, there was a comment that implied better then the 257, but i have seen nothing since. my 257's, & delta's & omega's for that matter, were just plain horrendous in the mobile. in this great metropolis of the northeast, there is next to nowhere that is 'quiet' on the blue mosfet 257 i use on 10m. even my 706mk2g & ts50 suck. on the other hand, my grant xl & ar3500, are fantastically quiet.
so as i get closer to pulling the trigger....is the optima QUIET in a noisy mobile environment?

so guys, how is this radio in the mobile, noisy receive-wise? early on, like page 3 or something, there was a comment that implied better then the 257, but i have seen nothing since. my 257's, & delta's & omega's for that matter, were just plain horrendous in the mobile. in this great metropolis of the northeast, there is next to nowhere that is 'quiet' on the blue mosfet 257 i use on 10m. even my 706mk2g & ts50 suck. on the other hand, my grant xl & ar3500, are fantastically quiet.
so as i get closer to pulling the trigger....is the optima QUIET in a noisy mobile environment?
Receive in the mobile is very good, very little noise like others. You also have the filter which works real good on ssb.

Well I drive a 99 Chevy Tahoe with the Optima getting power from the dash power outlets, it has no electrical noise from the vehicle at all. Once I did hear a slight pop when I had the cruise on and stepped on the brake but other than that, nothing, no wiper noise, no turn signal noise no nothing. It recieves fantastic with my Wilson 5000 on the roof, if skip is rolling anybody I hear I can talk to.

Reactions: 1 person
i'm pretty good with vehicle noise-when the noise level is S9, shut the truck off & it doesn't change. it's the noise in the air-fluorescent lights, crappy power transformers, crappy tuneups on the vehicles driving near me-that make using the 257 a drag. if i go to the barrier beaches, away from overhead power lines, i'm usually good. but that's not where i'm driving when i'm actually heading somewhere. if a few more optima users convince me its noticeably quieter then my 257, i'm in!

Dave I'll make you a deal, you send me your 257 with a hundred bill inside of it I'll send you an Optima, I have a few extras, if you don't think it's a lot better we can resend all stuff back, that's how much I know the Optima is a lot quieter than a 257.

Attachments

• optima #3.jpg
    optima #3.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 6
Dave I'll make you a deal, you send me your 257 with a hundred bill inside of it I'll send you an Optima, I have a few extras, if you don't think it's a lot better we can resend all stuff back, that's how much I know the Optima is a lot quieter than a 257.

;-) i hope your right, tucker! i should be jumping into an optima shortly.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.