• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

Radio has variable RF power that works on both am and SSB. It will lower DK on am and still give full pep power if memory serves me correclty.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
love my optima mklll, best ssb rig, i think. i have rci 2970n4, love it for am, and some ssb but worked on it to get it good. my mklll out of the box, hands off is tops. i did put a 636L mic on it (did the ch. buttons myself too), and just the other day put a texas star 500 behind it, talked to NZ. looking west 4 contacts, and looking east Bermuda, all on am. ssb is off the hook! the optima mklll rocks, i would traid my rci 2970n4 for an optima mklll, and a little amp anyday.
Mobile Unit 1358 Central Oregon, got down. Oh i run a 102 ss wip w/4 in. spring on my pick up truck....it gets the job done.
Just curious as to what mics you tried before you settled on the 636l? I was planning the get the adapter and try my 4 pin 636l and rk46. My road king seems to be a little deeper, and seems to suit my voice better.

Radio has variable RF power that works on both am and SSB. It will lower DK on am and still give full pep power if memory serves me correclty.
I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but how does one come up with 2.75 watts? A radio shack meter in line with antenna, or a bird in line with a dummy load? I would assume the power meter on the transceiver isn't accurate enough. Does the 1:4 dead key to swing ratio not apply to amplified rigs?

I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but how does one come up with 2.75 watts? A radio shack meter in line with antenna, or a bird in line with a dummy load? I would assume the power meter on the transceiver isn't accurate enough. Does the 1:4 dead key to swing ratio not apply to amplified rigs?
on the top right you'll find the out put power variable, when your on AM turn that thing down all the way to the left, the way I'm set up that is 2.75 watts. Thats the ONLY place you want that set for AM ops. or you WILL fry your t.s.500.
Now for SSB operation you want to turn that variable all the way up, turn that thing to the right all the way. I had my Tech. "merry" the Optima to the texas star, check my Optima made sure all of the yeticomnz specs. were in place, and I run a LP-100A after my amp. to watch my SWR/power out put. My Tech use's a scop. Bird, and other tool's as needed. I use my mfj-259c to set my antenna, check coax, and this time I used my new mfj-226 to get to know it better after using the mfj-259c . So far so good.Dx was poor to fair today but did get out to every state on the east of the mississippi, and Wy. Mo.Tx. and as always Ont, Can.
I hope like your new Optima mk lll, !

How do I change the display from frequency display to just a channel display on the Optima? Or can I even do that?
I know the Magnum 257 had that option...

Thanks in advance

No channel display on the optima. Just freqs. Save your 5 fav freqs to the 5 memory locations. About all you can do s far as having some freqs close to where you want to be or where you talk at. There are tons of apps that will show you the freq chart for the CB band as well. Here is one. Hope this might help.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.png
    image.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.png
    image.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 10
  • image.png
    image.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 10
  • image.png
    image.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 11
Sorry. I forgot about setting the radio to CB Band. My bad. I'm so used to using the freeband mode, I wasn't even thinking about it. Thanks for correcting me Yeti Comm Ltd!! Hope all is well. Have a good one.

Yes I have a Yeticom Optima III. And I have yet to find a way to install in my mobile due to no room. Yet I cant bring myself to sell it....

One thing I noticed, is SSB seems to sound much lower of audio than AM.

Yes I have a Yeticom Optima III. And I have yet to find a way to install in my mobile due to no room. Yet I cant bring myself to sell it....

One thing I noticed, is SSB seems to sound much lower of audio than AM.
It is pretty quiet, and sometimes way too quiet with the filter on. It can be nasty switching from ssb to am. When I had my amp inline, i would hit the receive and delay buttons when switching back and forth, and sometimes i wouldn't blow the speaker. What vehicle are you wanting to shoehorn it in?

Yes, it's wrong, we have already been through this and gotten an answer. I haven't used my optima MK3 in a while, so I apologize if my memory from a year ago is off a bit. The statement isn't false, it's incorrect. I wasn't trying to lie. Just haven't used the damn radio in a while. Damn. What's with the jumping my ass for?? Just because I forgot about a couple features of the radio I own, I am sorry. If you want to know what the radio does and how it works, buy one and see for yourself!! Sorry if I have some incorrect info, wasn't my intention. Like I said, haven't used the damn radio in a long time so I couldn't remember off the top of my head if the optima was like on AM, and most of this is due to my lack of using it on AM. I used the radio 99.9% of the time on SSB. And I know the RF power Will lower SSB power as you turn it down.
Thanks for pointing out my incorrect statements again though. Now go play with your own optima mk3. Or do you even own one??

Reactions: knight patrol 60
And if you read the entire post you'll also see where I stated "if" memory serves me correctly. Well obviously my memory is off LOL!! I'm not perfect and never have claimed to be. So yes I made an error or 2 as like I said, haven't used the radio for a while and actually have loaned it to my brother in law as I have 2 HF radios now and no need for a mobile at this time. Bottom line, yes I did give some incorrect info, which I thought was discussed and resolved, but I wasn't trying to spread "false statements". Again, thanks for pointing out my mistake, now can you tell us then how the AM DK works in conjunction with the RF power? Thanks and have a good one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.