• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

Duster does it work ok? You have to remember GoodWill or whoever was making them starting selling them to dealers here in the states not just Yeticom so the ones that came here probably were the latest production run. That guy in Michigan who sells them would probably know better which is which.

Yes they have been, seems they get new shipments about once every 2 months, just a shame Yeticom spent all the time making all the improvements costing him money also and then the Manufacture cut Yeticom right out of the deal. Just not correct.

Reactions: 2 people
optima 3k

recently acquired the Optima 3 and have had poor results when TXing on AM...locals say I sound very muffled & Basie...this was using the HM36 mic as well but, I think the one made in China.. LSB/USB seems to work very well when TXing... Over all the radio works well and has great reception hate to reconsider in selling if I cant use AM.. Any one else experiencing the same results...
Thank you

russ not to sound like a jerk and sometimes I do, why would you buy that kind of radio to talk on AM. I don't think I ever used any of mine on AM, on FM and SSB they sound very good according to all my locals. If you want an AM radio go buy a Galaxy 929 or something like that for 75 dollars and have fun they talk great on AM. Heck you could probably fine a used one for 25 bucks or so

yeticom

I understand the Optima's primary functionality is SSB but, AM should at least transmit with a tangible and clear modulation as well.. since it is an all mode radio...Right!..I was not expecting it to be as strong as other 10 meter radio's on AM but not to sound as bad as it does.. I have put back on the Original mic that came with the radio and have not been able to contact my local's yet to see if it is better.. I will post the results as soon as I can..

I do agree that SSB is truly where this radio shows its color's.. And have made plenty of contacts with no problems what's so ever.. I am very impressed with it and have to say that its performance is right up there with the best of them like the RCI 2950dx and the President Lincoln type radios..

did you try turning the am mod up a little in the radio, it helps a lot!! my fm was also a little quiet, turned up the fm mod and it works great now.

I think you said you were using an hm36 mic? if you are look up hm36 mods there are some that will help that mic,, also the electret mic that M42duster just posted about works great with the optima and is very cheap $20 and works better than the stock mic and the original hm36's,, just got one here.

I did turn up the am pot and that's when I was getting poor results so, I thought maybe I turned it up too much..so I went ahead and detuned it right at the point where it was swinging at 45 watts on my meter..

And yes, I was using the HM 36 mic as well...but since then I have put back on the stock mic. haven't been able to get any further reports as of yet..

I will look into the HM 46 mic as well and will give it a try..

Thanks for all of the feedback..

@ camaro1

Do you like that mic?

I also, just recently, received and tested the desk mic version. It is very potent and sensitive. My beta test receive stations report it has a tad more bass than the hand mics. My voice is very deep and tends to elicit bassy reports from everyone, no matter which mic I use. My audiophile friend says I sound good on anything I use, lol.

Anyways, I like this desk mic. The cord is very stiff and coiled :thumbdown:. This mic was ordered by someone else. If I were to buy one, I'd replace the cornball coiled cord for a straight one.

It's a very HOT mic, kinda pricey, but is well made and looks good, sans coiled cord.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=170983029107

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.