• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

I've only had one Chinese HM-36. I can't remember how I got it, but it elicited poor reports.

I have seen newly made HM-36's with Japan printed on the lower back case. I've also seen units that have nothing stamped on the lower back. Both mics, seem to be of Chinese manufacture. I imagine the box that's printed, made in Japan, is simply left over from the original runs of the OEM mic, IDK for sure.

Older OEM mics are getting pricier. So far, I seem to like the feel of this HM-46 over the HM-36.

Just bought Optima MKIII from yeti site

Just got one of these bad boys and it works great. $350 shipping included. I had it tuned from Yeti before they sent it.
I am using the radio/stock mike with rg213 coax with a whip and adjuster, stud mounted trunk center. SWR's are at 1.4 on 1 and 40. Transmit is excellent. Receive is excellent. Dead center is dead center, at least for mine.
My first LSB DX experience on this setup was amazing, receiving and transmitting, which included the ones hardly pushing the first bar! I had the mod at about 1/2 way and the power all the way up, got 45 watts. AM was great as well. In a busy area was heard at least 30 miles away. Mod was all the way up watts were around 15+. Always told modulation was loud and clear.
I had a Sommerkamp TS2000DX that I loved before this, but I like this one better, EXCEPT, this radio has no band scan. I hate that! Almost to the point of selling it, but it works really good so not to sure yet, lol.

is it an MKIII and your in the US?

Yes. Bought it from Yeti. Had it for a couple weeks. Just hooked it up this past week. Talked on it 3 times. Works perfectly. Cost me $350, although I did get a first quote of $380 there(for any future buyers from their site). I re-emailed them again because I forgot the price and they replied at the $350. They tuned it free because there was going to be a delay in shipping. I do really like the radio alot, but I also like band scanning just as much, otherwise this is a great radio.

Last edited:
On a stock tune MKIII, how low will the deadkey go? It looks like it has a variable power.

It looks like it needs a 8pin ICOM mic for better AM response. Any other tips here?

I'm switching out my Galaxy 99v2 for a smaller more compact chassis and it looks like the MKIII is the way to go.

On a stock tune MKIII, how low will the deadkey go? It looks like it has a variable power.

It looks like it needs a 8pin ICOM mic for better AM response. Any other tips here?

I'm switching out my Galaxy 99v2 for a smaller more compact chassis and it looks like the MKIII is the way to go.

Mine goes down to 1.5 watts untouched from Yeti. Everyone and their family says to get the ICOM mic for it. If you do, I would do research as to the correct one to buy because there are a ton of reprods out there. I'm using the stock one. I was told I was loud on both AM and LSB. AM mod was about 3/4 around and on LSB was a little over straight up. It is a nice radio. Just remember there is no BAND SCAN, damn it, lol!

Reactions: 1 person
Last edited:
In the same vein, can anyone share what their low power setting SSB PEP numbers are for the MK3 as shipped?

Thanks,

My MKIII, stock mic. About 3 weeks old, bought from Yeti. Tuned only, by Yeti.
AM= Dead Key Low- 1.5 watts, High- little over 15 watts. FM= Dead Key- Low- just under 2, High- 50 watts. USB (talking normal)= Low- swings to about 4~5 watts, High- swinging up to 20+ watts, whistle swinging up: to 45+ watts.
(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.