• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima MK3 Mobile

I will say I have had my 2 for about 6 months now and love them both. They sure work better than a 257, have one in my truck and the other for my base. You really have to use one for awhile to see how much better it is than the 257. Is it worth 100 dollars more? That's up to you, the last 257HP I bought didn't work when it got here, had to have 2 trips to the factory repair center before it worked correct. Both of my Optimas have worked flawless from the beginning. I did also buy 2 HM-36 mics for them. All the locals said it sounds great with the Icom mic. Yes I do have a few other radios that I play with, when I am on something else the locals ask me to use the Optima just because it sounds so much better.

Attachments

• optima wrapped up.jpg
    optima wrapped up.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 32
Yetticom Optima Mk2B and Mk3 are great radios. A lot better than a Magnum 257 by far. I had mine peaked tuned and realigned and AM was off the hook. It was set up for FM from the factory if you ask me because FM would smoke! I dint use FM here in the states. Anyway the filtering is great and tho mine is a 2B and the control for the filtering is on the VFO it doesnt bother me. Didnrt really see the big deal in changing the position. Other than the position of the filter know being changed, there is no difference in the 2B and the 3 but on the inside they look nothing like the 257 what so ever.. Mine is doing close to 50w AM and 65 SSB. I put a Minute man II power mic on it and used the power from the radio its self to power it. Its just as good as my 2950DX or N2 but in no way can it be compared to a 257! 257 is JUNK!

Tucker, you really had thy many problems with the 257. I get nothing but great reports from mine, have talked all over the place with it, I will say I did install a good brushless fan on it and it stays ice cold, but other than that I have never had anything done to it other than the 11 meter mod and turning up the mic gain some. May have to look into the optima as I am in the market for another radio similar to the 257. Thanks for any and all input. God bless.

there are still some in the usa for $289 new shipped, that's a great deal compared to what I paid shipped from New Zealand

Found them. Are they an out of the box use type radio, or do they require modifications and tuning? You have my curiosity peaked, always looking for a good radio.

I am really torn here as I have not had any issues with my magnum 257hp. I guess if I want to find out if they are truly any good I just am going to have to buy one lol. Thanks for all input and god bless.

whenever im looking to buy. i look more into the reciever specs than anything.
gotta hear them first to talk to them. with that said seems like it has a
descent reciever. does it suffer from getting alot of bleedover?? how well
does the noise blanker work? and does that extra filter really work ??my
qth suffers from lots of noise manmade and electrical.my emperior5010
does good job of blanking a good portion. my magnum comes in second
does ok. but is noticable noisier.last is my 2950 the recieve absolutely sucks
unless you give this radio 3 bars or more your signal is completely lost in noise. AWFUL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.