• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yeticom Optima3

Man in all honesty the optima MK3 doesn't need to be tuned and aligned. This radio is good from the factory! It's a well made export radio, one of the best if not the best build quality for an export radio anyway. Like Duster stated, the only real thing that "might" need some adjustment is the AMC, and get rid of the stock mic, it's just too small. Don't know what it would cost for a DTB radio and not putting him down in any way as I know he is a good tech, but this radio is just a good one from the factory!! And most guys end up popping the lid anyway to see what's under the hood! JMO, buy the radio and use it, if you then feel that it needs to be "tuned and aligned", then have it done. But save your money and use it for a better mic. The HM-36 icom mic (japan model), made a world of difference and also with an adapter I am now using my 2018 extreme mic, and it works well for dx'ing. I am able to turn the mic gain all the way up and the mic volume all the way up and not sound like shit. And it definitely helps with cutting through the pile up, or so I have noticed. Anyway JMO, have a great one and God Bless.

At least to see if it's done right from the factory. That would save a lot of time if not but to check it. No duds please.

Haven't heard of any duds so far but I am sure there are some. But like I said, this radio is well built, it's not just thrown together like some that I have seen. It almost looks like an HF radio inside. I said almost so don't blast me guys!! It's definitely one of the cleanest and well thought out export I have seen as of late.

Reactions: 2 people
I use both the Optima III and the Lincoln II (ver 3). Optima in mobile. Lincoln 2 on bench. Both are great radios. The Lincoln 2 has better features and Talks every bit as good as the Optima. I run the optima at 1-2 watts with the AMC wide open because I'm using a ranger sra198 stock mic. Absolutely incredible sound. The Lincoln 2 makes a great microphone. CRYSTAL clear, loud and a lot of base. I did tune it up quite a bit as well. The cre8900 microphone has a great! Sound on the Lincoln radio. All ither non-powered mics I've tried in the Lincoln are very quiet, unlike the optima.

I normally don't advertise the optima or Lincoln 2 (or other non cb radios for that matter,) but from all the ones I've sold, both have had great reports. Fortunately, I still have a couple Lincoln's left in stock because the supplier ran out right away.

CbRadiosPRONTO

Optima MK3 major lemon

Hi Jerry. Avoid at all costs.
I have this radio over a year now.
And here is what I want you to know.
SSB is the only strong side in this radio.
All reports using SSB are good.
If your plan is to use AM, dont waste
your time and money. When I just
installed mine and asked for a radio
check, here is what I got: A pretty ladys
voice "Yes we can hear you." Another
person commented "But it sounds like crap"
OK you want to try a new mic.
You cannot just plug in a mic. There is a DC
voltage present, so brand new mic needs
to be modified. Or you need to get Icom
mic wired for Optima. Very well you got it.
Now that new mic is so sensitive, it pics
an engine noise, and people now complaining

Hi Jerry. Avoid at all costs.
I have this radio over a year now.
And here is what I want you to know.
SSB is the only strong side in this radio.
All reports using SSB are good.
If your plan is to use AM, dont waste
your time and money. When I just
installed mine and asked for a radio
check, here is what I got: A pretty ladys
voice "Yes we can hear you." Another
person commented "But it sounds like crap"
OK you want to try a new mic.
You cannot just plug in a mic. There is a DC
voltage present, so brand new mic needs
to be modified. Or you need to get Icom
mic wired for Optima. Very well you got it.
Now that new mic is so sensitive, it pics
an engine noise, and people now complaining

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with a Optima.
I did get one and wired up a noice cancelling mic to use in the big truck. I get good reports on the audio. Its not an audio monster like a Styker but it is loud enough. On ssb ive worked a few other states now. Not a bad little radio. I wish it had more powrr as i like having 100 watts or a bit more when shooting skip but not sure what kind of amp to use in the mobile.

I got no complaints really.

I have has zero issue with mine. Works well and gets my named called all over the place! AM and SSB are good. And for the stock mic, a 20-25 knockoff or a used icom hm-36 aren't too expensive. Cost was under 300 for radio and mic for me, and I get compliments all the time, shoot had a good qso with 963 ohio for roughly 30 minutes until I got home. All this while traveling at 70 down the highway. Maybe you don't have your system setup correctly or could be a dud. Haven't heard much bad about the optima mk3 it's a nice radio and works well IMO. But not everyone will be happy I guess. For the money though, it's a good radio. JMO. Have a great one and happy dx'ing. God bless.

Nothing in this world is perfect I think we can all agree on that! But the optima mk3 isn't a bad radio and to be honest after popping the old I was impressed at the quality of the build of this radio. To me it's well done. But what do I know, I am just a CB'er! Happy dx'ing and god bless.

I would like to see some pics of imgur's install and setup. Probably not going to happen, but I'm willing to bet that has EVERYTHING to do with why he's getting crappy reports on AM.

Anyone have a recomandation of a mobile amp that i can use with the optima? Im wanting 100 watts or so but not much more as im limited to a 20 amp curcuit in the big truck for radio and amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.