• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

You Just Can Not Make This Stuff Up!!!?

Handy Andy

Do Your Research First, Then Decide...
Apr 23, 2018
www.cbtricks.com
Found this today while out walking...

PaylessTANDY.jpg

Kinda sad, because I stopped in to check on getting a pair of new shoes for all the Walks I will be taking to get some of this "excess baggage" off of me...

As you know, Radio Shack is no longer...
Got bought out by Sprint...
But, whatever happened to all their product on the store shelves - it's all branded with name brand...

So that is where TANDY comes in,

They sell shoes...

So - while Payless Shoes figures out where they will go next - TANDY is still selling product.

Thought you might like to know...

RatShack got sold by Sprint to an outfit that runs craft stores. Can't remember the name right off the bat. They expressed the intent to include a RatShack section in those stores sometime soon.

And PayLess is swirling the drain as we speak. Word is their stores will also be gone soon.

Never mind the hundreds of "dead mall" vids on YouTube.

I haven't been in the local rat shack in a year or so. He said he had been waiting months for an order to stock his component bins. Apparently there aren't many factories stamping out the brand anymore. I bet their parts bin is gone by now.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Yes, and if anyone remembers the history around Radio Shack, it was formed when TANDY bought out an Electronics supplier (Allied?) So it can expand into the realm of Consumer Electronics (the premise is basic as how they got there) They needed a "Big Box Store" that's how they merged, formed Radio Shack as the means to deliver the product to the customer as a store front.

I used to work for them, still have the name tag - SIGH - good memories amongst the struggle of the stores to keep delivering sales when competition and internet showed up as the killers in the field of price and product availability - pretty much killed the Store Front effort and refocused on On-line Catalog. Funny how we pushed the IBM PC as the best means to obtain internet connectivity and that that would up being the very thing we sold it as, it became the way of the future - and Radio Shack is gone due to it. We put ourselves out of business from it.

Ah yes, we can hear the pundits now... Welcome to the New Employees of Radio Shack, Where we know the Agony of winning is caused by the Joy of the "feet".

Hey, bud! Now that you're unemployed, I got some shoes to go with your walking ...

Yeah...I heard it all...

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Any date codes? Maybe they were leftover stock. LOL

Funny you should mention that, in the older days of sales, we used to pull the sale product (example Heavy Duty Batteries (red label)) to behind the counter to limit the sales. The Flyer often disclosed limit XX per customer - please.

20190220_141417.jpg

If you look carefully ..They kept a catalog number, just took away the dash - no expiration date but there's a big "asterisk" by Performance Guaranteed printed on the package...

Then once the customer came in, if they didn't see the sale product they'd buy the buy the next level up. But if they came to the counter and asked, we offered by first asking how many do you need? And if questions about limits came up we'd refer them to the flyer for limitations and exclusions.

So yeah, what goes around comes around...

About 2 years ago the local Radio Shack was going out and had big signs up 90% off I went in and they had quite a bit of product left I purchased nearly everything they had I spent $208 dollars and with the deals I made as we walked through the store I ended up with $5000 worth of SWITCHES, CONTROLS, RESISTORS, CAPACITORS, DIODES, SCR'S, BATTERIES COAX CONNECTORS ABOUT 250FT OF RG58U, BATTERY HOLDERS, electrolytics, RCA CONNECTORS, RCA STEREO CABLES AND HDMI CABLES ETC I SPENT MORE ON EXTRA CABINETS THAN I DID PARTS.
Anyway, that was the 2nd time I did that I purchased 22 battery jump starters at a radioshack in Nebraska at that time they were selling for 59.95 I bought all 22 of them for $100 and sold every one of them to a guy at a Flea Market for $250 the same day.
I do miss the old walking stores of yesteryear I used to purchase everything from Moyer Electronics in Sunbury Pa they are now gone all the electronics parts stores in Omaha Ne are gone at least the walk-ins are gone. There is one in Omaha but it went full internet I know the owners at least used to and they would let me in by appointment but I don't know what they are doing now. It's over guys walk-ins of all kinds are coming to an end.

Wow! I was going to say something like "What a stab from the past".

Spotted this on their "TV Parts" page "the original line of RCA TV parts dating back to about 1949."

Every town with a population over 50,000 had a local distributor like this decades ago. One by one they have all evaporated but a very few. The only one left here survived by going industrial. Not much in the way of repair-type stuff there any more.

Gotta wonder how Moyer escaped extinction.

Cool link!

Back in the day, I purchased all my equipment and most of the parts from them. They carried all the B&K and Sencore equipment as well as tek and others I purchase 3 full bench setups from them and about 20K in bench equipment for my bench. They are in the same location as they were back in the early 70's it was a surprise to me as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.