• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your Thoughts on an Imax 2000 + ground plane kit.

waste of time

then again

so is the Imax 2000

Anyways you will add rfi interference using ground plane kit (likly)

Hi folks.

Ive tried both,for several years i worked with a-99 and the imax-2000 with a ground plane kit. I finally baught a Sigma Mantova 5 aluminium antenna. Best antenna ive ever had both TX/RX.

If the length is no problem for you(ca 7,5m) i would highly recommend this.

The Imax 2000 doesn't need or require a groundplane kit. It works like it's supposed to without it. A ground plane will change it's radiation pattern, though. But so will ground mounting it, and that's a lot cheaper. Wanna make it sort of directional? Ground mount it and park on the side you don't want your signal to go. That's one of those 'why bother' thingys too, so... why bother?
- 'Doc

Imax-2000 is a ok antenna..
forget the ground plane radials
(waste of time and ads splash over to neighbors)

but do as you want....

i know my Interceptor I-10K blows the Imax 2000 away
so will a few other antennas (like the wolfpoint .64)

Later

The titles of the articles Imax and A99 Exposed, referred to in this thread, probably suggests something negative to most readers. Instead, I think the author likely meant that the antennas being exposed; were just opened up to view inside.

Can you really argue that these antennas were not a real boon to communications in the CB world at a time when safety and effectiveness were at issue? Arguably, the A99 probably still prevails as the most widely used CB antenna in the world, bar none and is also very effective at doing what it is supposed to do.

IMO, the issue about the ground plane kit is often miss-stated as well. In a technical sense the GPK, if effectively installed, could possibly provide some modestly improved results. It is true, as ‘Doc notes, that neither really needs the GPK in order to work, but so will a bucket or a hose with a few holes in it work. The issue is how much better will the improvement be if these antennas were correctly and technically modified and then measured and compared on an actual test range? Even doing this, however, does not consider the varied locations for the general user, just another issue that plays into how and why.

Also, the comment that the Imax is better built is not proven out by the many testimonies that I have seen on these Internet sites.

There used to be a teenager around here that had a A99 75' up in a pine tree. His station was smoking. He talked barefoot DX all day long with a little uniden radio.

For the money....I can't see what was so bad about it.

Well i tried it, what can i say it was free! And as far as i can tell i really cant tell any difference on am, some but not much. On side band for what ever reason i can tell a BIG difference! Canada, north west and even an Alaskan contact on different days that i never made in the past. So did it make a difference,maybe so maybe not.

FL Native...sorry i don't understand what you mean. Im still learning so im a little stupid yet :LOL:

By the way i just talked to a guy in VA ( 200 miles from me with nothing but my 95T,the big amp was off. ) for 45 minutes with no trouble and i do seem to be able to hear far off stations a lot better than before. Maybe there is something to this ground plane thing after all.

Reactions: greygohst203

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.