• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Z-180, anyone else have one?

switch the stinger is what lets the wilsons down, its too thin and flexy and its a bit short which is ok if you need the clearance above the vehicle,
i want to get inside to see if i can mod the coil like i have on the sirios if the whip holder unscrews i would make another from brass bar because the wilson is too thin to take the whip from a sirio 5ooo,
i dont want to bust it to find i cant mod it, the 5000 magmount is about $170 over here.

I got cha Bob . I will say this much , in the 16 years I've been using Wilson 1000/5000 base loaded antenna's I've never ever seen one burnt up ,although I have seen the coax burn up on them from not handling the power , but never the loads. I have seen one cut in half on purpose , but all that did was render the load useless. IM guessing here ? but i would think that the plastic or resin type base they use also helps or works as a heat sink around the coils ? but then again , I've never felt any heat coming off of them either over the years .Now wasn't that the idea Hustler had with there oil filled base loads ?
P5000cut.jpg

bob85 said:
if the whip holder unscrews i would make another from brass bar
It does unscrew. I have a few guinea pigs over here and will experiment...I'll take pictures (almost as good as Switch's).

that would be cool MC, they look easy enough to mod from switch's picture, i just dont want to destroy a decent antenna ;)

that's Wilson's picture guys or should I say Barjan. Are they not silver plated to begin with ? Whatever the case may be ? Still a great antenna for what they are . I'd like to see what one looks like burnt up. :oops:

I bought two of these Z-180's through H&Y a while back. I've never gotten around to installing them yet. Mine came with roof mounts and I think they've got up to 14 feet of coax attached to the mounts. I don't want to use the roof mounts, I'd like to mount one to my back bumper but I need to find the right mount because I don't think that the Z-180 will screw on to regular mount, will it? And then there's the problem with the extra coax. What will happen if I add coax to make it long enough?

bob85 said:
they look easy enough to mod from switch's picture
You will NOT be able to remove the coil cover, just the stinger adaptor.

Switch, I've never seen a burnt up 1000/5000. While not impossible to do, it would be difficult.

thats a shame mc, how is the coil fastened at the top?,
you can remove every part of the sirio antennas clean mod do whatever, reassemble them with a turn less above the tapping point and a longer thicker stinger, sometimes you will bust the thing before the threadlock lets go.

As I said , I saw one opened up many many years ago, the more i think about it the less I remember the coil itself being inbedded with the plastic , yes , the shaft will screw off only to leave a screw head on top , the bottom of my W-5000 has a very small hole in it and after further investagation , I do not believe these coils to be completely surrounded by the plastic . Looking at the bottom you can see where the outter and the inner parts could be seperated , as well as the top where the screw head is located for the shaft. Those loads are 35 bucks a pop ! and I only have one , but they do appear to look as if they could be taken apart with some patients and tolerance. I would guess to say they are glued together one way or the other top and bottom. If it were me , I would start from the top ,but my guess would be , and depending on the glue that has been used , there may not be much left of the plastic after one finally did get it off ? Outside of that tiny little hole I mentioned , I believe them to be air tight other then that.
P5000cut.jpg

So.....

What's the verdict? :?:

Anyone able to take a Z 180 apart yet?

Switch, as for the little hole in the bottom of the Wilson coil cover: It's a weep/vent hole that allows condensation to drain out during seasonal temp changes.

If it was completely sealed, it would build up moisture/condensation inside & could freeze in the winter causing potential damage to the coil, & mount system itself.

figured there was a reason for it 775 . Makes sence on what your saying. We don't even get much rain here is So.Cal where IM at , let alone snow and freezing temps. I suppose a guy like me is fairly safe from that. Thanks

Ah, OK then.

Anyway, it would be interesting to see if a thicker/taller stinger on a 5K would give it more bandwidth as some have hinted in here. I do like the Z-180 looks & performance alot better, but the Wilson 5K has them beat in the RMS power handling dept. The Z-180 is "only" rated to 2000 watts. :LOL: That's still way more power than I'd ever need! :nutzo

sixwheeler,

Say you bought from H&Y ? the only problem I had with them was the shipping. I felt like they made the price back on VERY expensive S& H charges.

I'm very interested in trying one out though....the reduced staic claims are what interest me.
Let me know if any of you guys know any other suppliers that carry them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.